Author Topic: China : Visa  (Read 48165 times)

Offline weecheng

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • http://weecheng.com
Re: China : Visa
« Reply #60 on: Sep 20, 11, 08:29 AM »
For longer stays, then apply for a regular visa.  The same website has details.

Offline WuffRuff

• Traveller
« Reply #61 on: Sep 22, 11, 12:14 PM »
Yup. I went to that centre at Raffles Place today.

Perhaps its new, there was no crowd at all, took me less than 10 mins to queue and submit the pre-filled form.

The person attending to me told me that it wasn't necessary to submit any proof of hotel reservations or plane tickets "since the application is by a Singaporean".

Was told visa would be ready on Friday (3 days from now.)

How much did it cost?
How many months did they give you?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 11, 03:39 AM by Karel »

Offline WuffRuff

• Traveller
« Reply #62 on: Oct 18, 11, 04:53 AM »
This is the latest update on China VISA as of 17 Sept 2011.
I will consolidate all the information you need to know about applying for China VISA here.
Note that this information applies to SINGAPORE CITIZENS.

Tourist VISAS - L Type.
1) VISA not required for visit of up to 14 days.
2) Single entry VISA - $50 (including service fees)
3) Double entry VISA - $60 (Valid 6 months)
4) Multiple entry VISA - $70 (Valid 6 months)
5) Multiple entry VISA - $80 (Valid 12 months)

For 2, usually they give you 60 days and you can extend it for 30 days more for two times in China.
For 3, I heard (will confirm when I get my VISA) that they can give you 90 days. I heard that you can extend 30 days, but I think just once. Otherwise, you can go to HK or Mongolia, etc. and re-enter, then you can get 60 days stay.
For 4 & 5, I heard that you will get 60 days VISA. The rest is as per 3.

How to apply?
The Chinese embassy does not handle VISA applications directly.
They have set up a VISA Application Centre to handle and process VISAs.
This is the only place where you can apply for your VISA.
They charge a $25 service fee but the above listed prices include the fees.
Do not try to call them to ask any questions as all you will get is a voice message directing you to their website.
Unless you have unusual, specific questions, all the general information can be found on their website:
http://www.visaforchina.com.sg/

Offline tikam

• Traveller
« Reply #63 on: Oct 18, 11, 10:17 AM »
Multiple entry VISA - $90 (not $80) (Valid 12 months).

I don't think you can extend China Visa more than once in China. When you extend, they will cancel you current Visa (and void it) and will issue a zero entry Visa in replace.

Singaporean dont need additional document to apply China Visa. Just the application form will do.

The most interesting thing is the 90 days double entry Visa which I have also heard last week over the counter, which we could try to apply now (no guarantee China side will approve but they will consider)

Offline furfur

• Traveller
    • Furious Panda!
« Reply #64 on: Oct 18, 11, 01:06 PM »
Really useful and updated info there. Thanks!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey

http://thefuriouspanda.com

Offline belgarathc

• Traveller
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #65 on: Oct 18, 11, 03:06 PM »
I also made a visit there recently.

I hurriedly bought my air tickets before visa application only to be told that Singaporeans need not show air tickets.

I made an appointment through their website but was not given priority over others.

I went at around 12+ and waited for about an hour.

Going to collect from this thursday.  ;D

Offline WuffRuff

• Traveller
« Reply #66 on: Oct 18, 11, 08:29 PM »
Multiple entry VISA - $90 (not $80) (Valid 12 months).

I don't think you can extend China Visa more than once in China. When you extend, they will cancel you current Visa (and void it) and will issue a zero entry Visa in replace.

Singaporean dont need additional document to apply China Visa. Just the application form will do.

The most interesting thing is the 90 days double entry Visa which I have also heard last week over the counter, which we could try to apply now (no guarantee China side will approve but they will consider)

So you mean if I have a multiple entry VISA and I extend it, then I cannot re-enter on this VISA?
Hmmm...... So then the best way to extend for a long time is to re-enter.

I applied for the double entry VISA and stated 90 days for my longest duration of stay.
Hopefully I get it!  :icon_bounce:

I also made a visit there recently.
I hurriedly bought my air tickets before visa application only to be told that Singaporeans need not show air tickets.
I made an appointment through their website but was not given priority over others.
I went at around 12+ and waited for about an hour.
Going to collect from this thursday.  ;D

Hey I am also going on Thursday to collect.
Well, you need an air ticket anyway. Hope it was a good deal.
I got my Jetstar flight to Hangzhou for around $200.  :hello2:
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 11, 03:10 AM by Karel »

Offline belgarathc

• Traveller
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #67 on: Oct 19, 11, 12:03 AM »
Oh, $200 is a great deal!

I bought a one way to Chengdu via Airasia at near $300, and one way from Kunming to Singapore via China Eastern at also near $300.

The online visa status check does not seem to work.  I was hoping to collect today as I am not free on Thursday.  I guess I will collect on Friday then.

Offline belgarathc

• Traveller
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #68 on: Oct 19, 11, 12:46 AM »
My bad, the online visa status check is working, I just put in the wrong number.

Pickup Form Memo: Visa/Passport to be available for collection on the scheduled date shown on Pickup Form.

Here is the link for interested parties: http://www.visaforchina.org/web/applicationdata/ApplicationQuery_input.action?visacenterCode=SGP1&request_locale=en####

Offline tikam

• Traveller
« Reply #69 on: Oct 19, 11, 08:29 AM »
So you mean if I have a multiple entry VISA and I extend it, then I cannot re-enter on this VISA?
Hmmm...... So then the best way to extend for a long time is to re-enter.
Yes, your current VISA is useless once you make an extension. As far as possible, try not to extend your VISA in China. Reason being:
1. It can takes 1-5 working days, depending on the city/town. In the meantime, they might ask you to provide evidence of your accommodation (meaning you might have to stayput).
2. Provide proof of air ticket leaving China, since you can't do a second extension.
3. Provide proof of USD100 per day of extension. That means if you want to extend for 20 days (the extension is til the day of your flight out), you have to show either
(a) cold hard cash of USD2k equivalent of any currency or
(b) open an account and deposit USD2k equivalent of cash in a local bank (one of the bigger known China bank), ask the bank to lock your money for the period til collecting of VISA (ie 1-5 days), ask the bank to issue a notice stating the amount of money and period to be lock. And attach the notice to your application form.

Hey I am also going on Thursday to collect.
Well, you need an air ticket anyway. Hope it was a good deal.
I got my Jetstar flight to Hangzhou for around $200.  :hello2:
WuffRuff, I would like to know the outcome of your 90 days application. Also I am wondering why do they need your proof of air ticket, could it be due to the 90 days application? Did they ask for the return ticket also?

Side-track a little, for those who intend to travel long term in China but don't want to carry too much cash, you can consider opening an account in China. Then go to the remittance counter in Chinatown to remit to your China account. They will ask for about S$18 service charge but you get near the market rate (eg if current rate on internet shows S$1:RMB5, you can get around RMB4.95) as oppose to money changer rate (RMB4.85-4.87).

In China if you own eg BOC bank card (open account eg in Guangdong province),
(a) if you draw cash using another bank's ATM in the same province, you have to pay about RMB4 service charge.
(b) if you draw cash using BOC ATM in another province, you have to pay about RMB8 service charge
(c) if you draw cash using another bank's ATM in another province, you have to pay about RMB4+8=RMB12 service charge.
However, if you open an account with DBS China (branches available in major coastal cities), you can use the ATM card with any bank's ATM in any province with NO service charge.

Offline siyimi

• Traveller
« Reply #70 on: Nov 01, 11, 01:52 AM »
Hi guys,

I just came back from my china trip, and overstayed extra 2 days (total 15 visa-free for singaporeans + 2 days visa-needed). luckily i applied for a 30-days visa prior to my trip, otherwise, i was told by the China immigration officer that i need to pay RMB500 for each day i overstayed (He couldnt find my visa on my passport at first).

So, for those intended to stay beyond 15 visa-free in China, pls apply your visa first prior to your trip, to avoid the 'heavy' fine.

Offline ropsie

• Traveller
    • Girl on the Go
« Reply #71 on: Jan 18, 12, 01:49 AM »
Hi I am planning a trip but the prob is I will not be in Singapore for abt 4 mths before I reach China. Do you think I'll still be able to apply a visa before I leave Singapore or should I try a visa extension. I rather avoid the latter.

Offline tikam

• Traveller
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 14, 01:02 AM »
Bring up old thread regarding new policy on China Visa.

I had successful gotten 1 year multiple entry 60-day visa for the last 4 years. However, this year they will on default approved only single entry 30-day visa. For 60-day single entry, you will need to get LOI from China resident. They will also check your air ticket during application.