Author Topic: Tibet to XinJiang : 4x4 overland - 10-26Oct07 - 3 more vacancies  (Read 5429 times)

Offline skyflash

• Traveller
(Extracted from their newsletter)

http://www.shangrila-adventure.com  
SHANGRILA ADVENTURE
Business Reg. No. 53079772X
(65)96705274 (Singapore)
(86)13688780010 (China)
shangrila.adventure@gmail.com

====

1)   An Extraordinary Journey: 4x4 Overland from Tibet to XinJiang

This is one of the most exciting overland-route to travel into Tibet.

I took the 27-hour train journey from Urumqi to the ancient Silk Road town of Kashgar.  It traversed across the vast desert-like landscape and part of the Tien Shan mountain range that separates the northern and southern XinJiang.

At YeCheng, I rented a 4x4 Toyota Landcruiser and started my overland journey towards Lhasa.  Nga Ri, commonly known as "A-Li" is the western prefecture of the Tibetan plateau.  Here, harsh weather conditions, and challenging road conditions ward off ordinary travelers.

The average altitude of this entire journey hovers above 4000m, with the highest point at the border between Tibet and XinJiang at 5200m.  Somewhere near this border is the eerie "SiRenGou" or Dead Man Gully, where several people had been known to have died from altitude-related sickness (only if you are not well-prepared).  However, the scenery here is exhilarating!  There are mirror-like lakes with snow-mountains as back-drop, along with delightful wildlife such as the famous Tibetan antelope or chiru, deers, mules and black-necked cranes.

The next major stop is Gar. Basically a stopover town for me to get to Zanda, home to the famous 700-year old GuGe Kingdom ruins.  En-route to Zanda I saw many Clay-Forest or "TuLin", a natural landscape feature of strange earth formations sculpted by the harsh weather conditions. The stretch of "TuLin" between Gar and Zanda is the most magnificent.

From Zanda, I continued on to Darchen, which is at the base of Mount Kailash, or GangRinPoChe in Tibetan.  Kailash is one of the most sacred mountains in Tibetan Buddhism.  Since I have gotten so close to Mount Kailash, I did the 52-km circuit kora, or going around the mountain in a clockwise manner.  The Tibetans perform this pilgrimage at least once in their life-time.  Some even did the circuit by prostrating all the way.  I woke up at 5am to join the locals as they started their trek up the mountain.  The most challenging part of the entire circuit is the steep climb up to the Drolma-la high-pass at 5450m

I traveled onward to Lhatse, the last major town before entering the protected national reserve of the Mount Everest region.  Just 2-hour drive from Lhatse is the city of Shigatse, where I spent half-day at Tashilungpo monastery, the traditional seat to the PanChen Lama.

Finally, I arrived at Lhasa after spending 9 days charging across the entire western plateau.  A wonderful experience for me, and I am already planning to re-do this route again, this time on a bicycle!

To see more pictures of this trip, please visit:
http://picasaweb.google.com/shangrila.adventure/4x4OverlandFromTibetToXinJiang
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 11, 04:26 AM by Karel »

Offline travelsnapper

• Traveller
(Extracted from newsletter)

A wonderful experience for me, and I am already planning to re-do this route again, this time on a bicycle!

Err... so is this trip on bicycle or 4x4?

when is the closing date? would love to join but can confirm in 2-3 weeks time.

btw, what's the projected cost like? :) thanx
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 07, 05:44 PM by travelsnapper »

Offline skyflash

• Traveller
(Extracted from newsletter)

A wonderful experience for me, and I am already planning to re-do this route again, this time on a bicycle!

Err... so is this trip on bicycle or 4x4?

when is the closing date? would love to join but can confirm in 2-3 weeks time.

btw, what's the projected cost like? :) thanx

The upcoming October trip is 4x4 overland. The October trip is actually the reverse of what he has described in the newsletter (ie, from Lhasa to Xinjiang via Kailash).

As for the details, please check with Alvin /Shangrila Adventure directly.

NB: I am just a paying participant of the trip & not representing the company in any way.

Offline nuts

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • Roving Light Travel Photography
Actually, I thought his original route would be better (Xinjiang - Lhasa) since the overland part may help you acclimatise
better; anyway, all the best, its a tough trip!

The upcoming October trip is 4x4 overland. The October trip is actually the reverse of what he has described in the newsletter (ie, from Lhasa to Xinjiang via Kailash).

As for the details, please check with Alvin /Shangrila Adventure directly.

NB: I am just a paying participant of the trip & not representing the company in any way.

Offline skyflash

• Traveller
Actually, I thought his original route would be better (Xinjiang - Lhasa) since the overland part may help you acclimatise
better; anyway, all the best, its a tough trip!

The Lhasa-Xinjiang route is not that worse off. :)  There is only one "high risk" day (ie, exceed 500m ASL difference)
-- but it is will be another 3 days before reaching Kailash.  Also, this is largely an overland itinerary.

it is going to be very tough and that is why I hope to attempt this asap. :)

Offline nuts

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • Roving Light Travel Photography
Good for you! Dunno will I ever be able to make this trip  :'( ... Bones getting stiff liao :(

The Lhasa-Xinjiang route is not that worse off. :)  There is only one "high risk" day (ie, exceed 500m ASL difference)
-- but it is will be another 3 days before reaching Kailash.  Also, this is largely an overland itinerary.

it is going to be very tough and that is why I hope to attempt this asap. :)

Offline freesoul

• Traveller
Hi ya,

Am interested.

Can email me yr itinerary to freesouljen@gmail.com.
Other Q:
-how many days
-day of departure and back to Spore
-estimated costs
-mode of transports
-type of accom

Thanks!

Offline skyflash

• Traveller
Trip completed; Returned safe and sound. ;D

http://www.spug.sg/forums/showpost.php?p=1213493&postcount=2422

PS: Could not get the hotlink to work.