Author Topic: Volunteer work for tsunami-almost  (Read 1875 times)

Offline bear

• Traveller
    • http://www.dopeydwarf.blogdrive.com
Volunteer work for tsunami-almost
« on: Jun 04, 06, 07:51 AM »
Another article about another trip.

Dec 26, 2004, a tsunami struck in South Asia. Countries affected were very many, one of them India, or mopre specifically, the coasts of Chennai. As with many others, the urge to do something was very high.

After checking and getting my leave, i decided to join a mission hospital in Chennai that was doing relief work in the tsunami area. After making arrangements, i was on my way to do something, my little part for the tsunami victims.

My resting place was in the YWCA at Chennal. The work place, X. Anyway, to give a little background, i met three beautiful girls from Malaysia, there doing volunteer work also. They were studying to be doctors.

Anyway, as far as my volunteer trip went, I think i can divide it to only a few areas.

Food - India is a Hindu nation so basically the food there is vegetarian. Nothing really stood out as far as this is concerned though i made the mistake of taking some water from the YWCA to sip. I had food poisoning and vommitted for much of the day. Waht is worse, this was my first day there.

Poor people - I spent some of my time visiting the slums. I helped conduct Sunday School for some of the children and helped in the distribution of food in the soup kitchen. The soup kitchen is basically an area where the mission group cooked food and distributed them freely to the very poor. One of the poorest, if can be described as such, was a 70 yr old woman who still worked by sweeping the streets for a few rupees a day.

I once went to a room and shared some Bible verses to a goup of old women, some of them reportedly ex-lepers. We were so close together, packed like sardines, some touching me even, that it did cross my mind if i would get leprosy. Still, as i believe, if u have the heart, nothing can harm u. Naive? Well, i am still here and alive.

Village Y. - Basically, the mission group bought a house over there where they used it once a week for a free clinic. I was told that the poor would travel for hours from neighbouring villages to go to the clinic for treatment. As a nurse by training, i was involved in giving injections. Most of it was pain killers. One thing i learnt was that no one was denied any medication or treatment cos it would be a very great sin, especially since some of the people have travelled for hours to come to the clinic and will travel for hours back home.

Tsunami relief. Basically, this is a fishing villaged adopted by the mission group for tsunami relief. They helped by providing new fishing boats and food and new supplies to the villages. As a mission hospital, they did have a clinic there also, among the ruins. I helped in the dispensing of medication.

Of cos there were good times also. I went to St Thomas's Hill for the wekend and did some shopping in the shopping centre. Of cos, i also went to the classes in the mission hospital and spoke to the kids about Singapore. Some of the questions they asked were simple, so really difficult. And as i gave my answers to them , i felt like i was describing Heaven. And i always complained about Singapore to my friends......

Our buses may be slow and dirty but when u see Indian buses...

Our poor may be poor but when u see the poor there..

Our HDB might be expensive but when u see the slums...

bear
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 06, 03:26 PM by soul4travel »

Offline bear

• Traveller
    • http://www.dopeydwarf.blogdrive.com
[ Journal ] Volunteer work for tsunami-almost
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 06, 08:12 AM »
Quote from: "soul4travel"
Bear,

U have a  big bear heart... helping in the tsunami relief....

FYI, you can upload image to your personal gallery and link it to the article by the [IMG] tag.

A little bit sua gu... Anyway, no pics to upload and as i only got photos (i never use digital camera).

bear