Author Topic: Indonesia : Anambas anyone?  (Read 754 times)

Offline dragon12

Indonesia : Anambas anyone?
« on: Dec 28, 16, 11:10 AM »
I've been hearing more and more of Anambas lately, but it seems a but of a mysterious place: So close to Singapore, at barely 150 miles or so, yet so unknown. We seem to know more about Thailand and Bali, which are both quite a lot further away. Even Sipadan has fewer secrets than Anambas. Weird...

I know that a number of Singapore-based liveaboards go to Anambas for weekend trips, but does anyone have any independent scuba experience off Anambas? Any other kind of experience perhaps?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 17, 05:56 AM by Karel »

Offline Karel

• Traveller
  • formerly known as Lion
    • karel
Re: Anambas anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 17, 05:54 AM »
You can hardly call it mysterious anymore when even CNN starts to report on it. As is often the case with destinations like that, it's poor accessibility that holds development back. You can only get there via Bintan or Batam. This site has some info on it: http://www.amazinganambas.com/#axzz4UliwuPPW

Offline dragon12

Re: Indonesia : Anambas anyone?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 17, 01:42 AM »
Well, there may be a little more going on. I mean, take Maldives; it's as remote as you can get. Surface and air accessibility are quite challenging, given the atolls' out of the way locations. Yet, most people know Maldives. You could even say it's well known around the world.

I think the fact that, apparently, Anambas has been renamed not so long ago and has been allocated an administrative government of its own, is partly why it doesn't really ring a bell for most people. Along with the fact that, for an Indonesian territory, its location is pretty anomalous, just east of Peninsular Malaysia. Tioman and Anambas are practically neighbors.  ??? Perhaps this quirkiness has caused it to stay below the radar?

Thanks for that link, Karel. Pretty useful stuff. The islands do look stunning, on a par with Maldives even, by the looks of it. Makes it even weirder how the region still hasn't been discovered wholesale.

I wonder if anyone here has any experience with visiting and staying there...