Author Topic: Turkey during Ramadan  (Read 2953 times)

Offline weecheng

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • http://weecheng.com
Turkey during Ramadan
« on: Oct 28, 14, 11:36 PM »
I am considering travelling in Turkey for 7 weeks in June and July 2015, and have just realised that would cover the whole of the Ramadan period plus the end of Ramadan (Ramazan Bayrami) which have 3 days of public holidays.

I have read online that some restaurants would remain open in the day time, especially in Istanbul and the touristy places of Western Turkey. My questions are:

* Does that mean it is difficult to find eating places in Eastern Turkey?
* Is it a particularly difficult period to travel around with fewer bus and flight frequencies?
* Will tourist attractions (museums, archaeological sites, national parks) open for shorter hours?
* Are tourist attractions and shops open at all during the 3 days of celebration at the end of the Ramadan?
* I understand that the first day of Ramadan end celebration is Fri 17th July. Since 18 and 19 July are the weekends, does that mean Mon and Tue the following week are also public holidays where everything shuts down?

Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 14, 07:37 AM by Karel »

Offline nuts

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • Roving Light Travel Photography
Re: Travelling in Turkey during Ramadan
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 14, 02:16 PM »
I was in Trabzon a few days during Ramadan in 2011, and everything like normal. Sure, the restaurants are empty during the day, but they are open, and they would infact, beckon me to go in etc
Signed up day-trip to Sumela Monastery, buses & dolmus seemed running like normal etc
Of course, its only 1 city, so can't say for others but I don't think is big issue...........

I am considering travelling in Turkey for 7 weeks in June and July 2015, and have just realised that would cover the whole of the Ramadan period plus the end of Ramadan (Ramazan Bayrami) which have 3 days of public holidays.

I have read online that some restaurants would remain open in the day time, especially in Istanbul and the touristy places of Western Turkey. My questions are:

* Does that mean it is difficult to find eating places in Eastern Turkey?
* Is it a particularly difficult period to travel around with fewer bus and flight frequencies?
* Will tourist attractions (museums, archaeological sites, national parks) open for shorter hours?
* Are tourist attractions and shops open at all during the 3 days of celebration at the end of the Ramadan?
* I understand that the first day of Ramadan end celebration is Fri 17th July. Since 18 and 19 July are the weekends, does that mean Mon and Tue the following week are also public holidays where everything shuts down?

Thanks for any advice.