Author Topic: Indonesia : Java - Seeing the Blue Flames at Mount Bromo  (Read 2604 times)

Offline thexcuriousxwanderer

• Traveller
    • thexcuriousxwanderer
Does anyone know if we can go alone to view the flames (and Ijen of course) or do we need a tour agency? If so which one would any of you guys recommend? Thanks!

(For those who know me, hello! Lost my password and couldn't log in for the longest time!)
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 14, 07:41 AM by Karel »

Offline traviz

• Traveller
Re: Indonesia : Java - Seeing the Blue Flames at Mount Bromo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 14, 06:33 PM »
Hi thexcuriousxwanderer,

I was there before to visit Ijen but didn't manage to catch the blue flames.

Usually you need to go to a tour agency in Surabaya to book your transport to Ijen or Bromo. The 4 wheel drive will normally drop you off in the evening at the hotel(near Ijen) and pick you up at about 4am in the morning to visit Ijen, by then its a lil too late to see the blue flames. Alternatively, I think you can speak to the driver and negotiate a price to bring you there earlier.

Do bring a headlamp or a torch as it can be really dark there with uneven terrain especially when walking down the crater towards the crater lake. I think best if you can maybe pay some miner to guide you to the destination.

Offline calvin2224

• Traveller
Re: Indonesia : Java - Seeing the Blue Flames at Mount Bromo
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 14, 08:10 AM »
You can go alone to Cemero Lawang, but you need transport from Cemero Lawang to visit Mt Bromo and the other sights in the area. For this, you may have to join other visitors in the 4WD jeeps.