Offline sobrietyanonymous

Tibet
« on: Oct 04, 13, 07:12 AM »
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 13, 10:01 AM by Karel »

Offline wei

• Traveller
Re: Tibet travel dec 2013
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 13, 11:10 AM »
If you are traveling by land, you can be sure that the pass itself is not the only place with security checks. Anybody traveling on the roads in Tibet can be stopped anytime and be asked to produce proof of your identity. There are checkpoints everywhere, where drivers and tour guides and tourists are expected to get off and have their passport or identity cards checked. If you do not want to be held up for an unnecessary amount of time, be in the situation of seeing your fiancee waving "bye bye" to you as she moves on while you get stuck or be thrown in jail, I suggest you go by the books and enter Tibet according to the laws of China. 

There are actually more than enough to do or see in Yunnan or the surrounding regions for 15 days. If you will like to cut down on costs, but still like to soak in the Tibetan culture, you can always visit regions like Xiahe, Langmusi or Kangding. Otherwise you can cover Yunnan more extensively and climb a mountain or two.

There are many rules regarding travel in Tibet and the rules are constantly changing. This also include restrictions on how you can get into Tibet itself. You may want to check out the Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree Forum for the latest news.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 13, 06:48 AM »
Hi! thanks for ur quick reply.

i am keen to fly in then, i understand it would be quite impossible otherwise to go via land pass from Yunnan..

any other persons here have travel agencies to recommend? the current "best" recommendation from landofsnows.com is way too expensive, about $2k/pax for 6-7 days of tibet travel

would it be wise to arrive at kunming first and then source for a agency? i figure tat it may cause unnecessary delays and hence am hoping to find a suitable match here first

lastly, any experiences from anyone here to share? :D

Offline ngial

• Traveller
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 13, 11:02 AM »
Hi,

My information is abit out of date.  My friends and I went into Tibet overland in 2004 from Golmud without the proper papers.  Then, there were already frequent checkpoints along the journey into Lhasa.  The police/soldiers would actually board the buses and conduct checks.  We were quite lucky that we were never caught. I suppose there would be more frequent checks and more scrutiny.

I would suggest the same as Wei has advised, ie, going by proper channel. 

For us, we stayed at this place called Sim's Cozy Guesthouse in Chengdu.  This GH was previously run by a Singaporean and his wife, but has since been taken over by others. They are able to provide arrangment for tibet tours.  http://www.gogosc.com/en_1.asp

You can probably try to check out the good guesthouses in Yunnan as they may probably provide comprehensive travel arrangements tibet which may be cheaper.  Tibet is a very big place. The distance between places are usually a couple of hours away. 

Offline wei

• Traveller
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 13, 07:33 AM »
I was there two summers ago. I traveled from Chengdu to Langmusi and Xiahe and finally ended up in Xining. I booked my tour from a Tibetan-run agency based in Xining and took a train to Lhasa from Xining. This is an agency with good services and is relatively cheap. But I am not sure if you want to use this agency if you are not going to be in Xining. But you can always check it out.
http://www.tibetanconnections.com/

Like I mentioned previously, the rules for entering Tibet is constantly changing. The last I heard, you need to have 5 people of the same nationality in the same tour group before you can be issued a tour permit. Do make sure you ask the tour agencies regarding the latest situation.

Feel free to pm me or email me (wx49@hotmail.com) if you need more info. 

« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 13, 01:43 AM »
thanks guys. i have abandoned all hopes of entering tibet via overland from yunnan. i am now looking for tour agencies to arrangea  trip to tibet for me.

i have checked with tibet connections as previously mentioned. their prices are about 3000Y pax for 2 persons. would that be a good indicative price range for a 6 day price? this excludes all accomodation and flights.

if not, would u guys know any other agencies to recommend?  :hello2:

Offline crasterkippers

Re: Tibet
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 13, 08:23 AM »
I disagree that 15 days is too long for Yunnan alone. Plenty to see there.