Author Topic: Tibetan restaurant gathering 17 March 2007 dinner  (Read 4426 times)

Offline hyun

• Traveller
Tibetan restaurant gathering 17 March 2007 dinner
« on: Mar 15, 07, 02:41 PM »
as circulated in the email, a few of us are coming for this dinner.  so far about 4 from this forum going.  by the way the streetdirectory webpage link i posted in the email had too many space_bars in the URL so u can't just cut and paste to view the map.  here is the link again, without those 2 extra space bars
---------------------------------------------------------

as a follow up to the "international foods" thread in the forum, just posting here to say that we came across a tibetan restaurant at this location on the map (see the red star):

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?ismap= 1&starmode=1&buildingid=19282&masterid=1&x=36894.775088889&y=32105.636912037&star=1&level=5?143, 147

and currently gwen (a.k.a. ahlay) (a fellow sgtraveller) and myself are wondering of some might be interested in checking this place out with his this coming Saturday.  i believe it'll be around dinner time.  maybe drop me a line in email if u'd like to come.

think there was some article in the newspaper or something about this restaurant recently.  not sure.

hyun a.k.a. soonkhai

Offline hyun

• Traveller
Re: Tibetan restaurant gathering 17 March 2007 dinner
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 07, 04:08 PM »
replying to weecheng's query about the attendance,

there were 4 of us.  one couldn't make it due to work.

we found out it's more of a northern chinese restaurant, despite the name and decor saying Tibet Restaurant.

the only "more authentic" tibetan stuff there are:
yak butter tea (instant 3-in-1) .. supposed to be (one of the?) brands produced in tibet.  but it tastes not that bad lah.  just a bit dilute, and only has the sweet version.  but mai hiam liao ... down in the central plains got not enough yak running around to make the tea leh ...

the potato momos with beef filling - pretty close to the original, except the meat should've maybe been fried first, so it's nicely cooked inside.  the potato part maybe mashed EVEN more ...

the northern chinese cuisine looks pretty ok:
we had the chinese "Hui people" muslim lamb satay, a classic satay u find all over china thanks to the Hui migrants.  and they have pretty nice northern chinese dumplings as well as other meat/vege dishes.

so where "Tibetan" is concerned, it kinda failed.  one glance at the menu upon arrival and u could see it was more resembled a chinese restaurant opened IN tibet.  but where northern chinese food is concerned, it might do.  i'm not too familiar with northern chinese to comment.

any other better tibetan restaurants hiding around in singapore?

Offline travelbug

• Administrator
  • Traveller
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 07, 04:02 AM »
featured in channel u's 'city beat2' y'day. from the program, sounds like owner stayed in tibet a few years, so besides the 'tibetan' deco, not surprised food is not authentic...tho from tv, the potato momo's looked delicious!
i think u can be the makansutra guru here :)

Offline hyun

• Traveller
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 07, 01:11 PM »
sorry tak boleh, i was forumerly in makansutra forum and the people there are really gastronomers.  cannot fight.

the potato momos look good lah but if i remember how i had it back then, i believe the meat was somewhat more cooked.  this restaurant probably pop it in raw and cool the whole momo, so the meat ended up pretty medium rare.  either pre-cook or pre-fry meat before putting into momo better.

but the overall taste of the potato momo not bad.  i remember having different styles of "potato momo" - pure potato or with meat, and they even look a bit different.  but this restaurant has only one style, and have to "prepare" it on the spot if u wanna order.  $2 each for something a bit bigger than 50-cent size, it's not cheap ok!  and if not for missing the food there, i won't order it.

the regular gyozas there are $7 for 10.

Offline LionFlyer

• Traveller
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 07, 11:25 AM »

any other better tibetan restaurants hiding around in singapore?

When u mentioned tibetan restaurant, I had thought about the one near my house.

Newly opened, I haven't tried it yet but passed it a few times on my way to church. It is along the row of shop houses after the overhead bridge.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?ismap=1&starmode=1&buildingid=3552&masterid=40436&x=31368.089137963&y=33825.680151851&star=1&level=5?312,151

Offline hyun

• Traveller
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 07, 06:02 PM »
i didn't read the article so i was misled by its signboard that it was really a "tibetan restaurant".

thanks for that bendemeer recommendation.  will try to check out its menu sometime!  hopefully this one more authentic.

but try as they might, short of flying in yak meat and yak butter, think it may be very difficult to be authentic.  beef and cow butter may fall really short, i donno.  even the tibetan flat noodles (thukpa) - i asked that telok kurau restaurant why they don't have it, they said "difficult to make".  hmmm ....?

the "yak" eaten in tibet is supposed to be "dzo" actually, a half-yak half-cow.  maybe substituting with plain cow products won't be THAT bad.

Offline LionFlyer

• Traveller
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 07, 12:30 PM »
Pai seh, just passthe place, notice it is serving Nepalese and North India cuisine instead of Tibetan.  It's called Mini Nepal if you are still interested.