Author Topic: Myanmar : Girl travel solo ?  (Read 6242 times)

Offline Nyx

Myanmar : Girl travel solo ?
« on: Jun 24, 12, 05:15 PM »
i'm thinking of going to myanmar in August.

8-9 day trip.

Need some tips about how it's like for ladies to travel solo.

what to watch out for and what's to see there? :)

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 13, 01:56 AM by Karel »

Offline goldengoh

• Traveller
  • On the road, i live a thousand lives
    • OBRacing
Re: girl travel solo in myanmar ?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 12, 03:57 PM »
it's a buddhist country. it's fine.
just exercise usual precautions.

met quite a few lone female travellers in myanmar.
if you're chinese, you'll blend in, no one will notice u.

don;t wear sleeveless/ shorts in temples.
In my dreams i can only think of 1 life to live, on the road, i live a thousand

Offline shakeleg

• Traveller
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 12, 05:42 AM »
I travelled solo to Myanmar in 2005. Probably a lot has changed, political wise. Here are eight posts about the trip.

(edited: read from first post: http://jalanjalan.travellerspoint.com/2/  )

It's one of my most memorable trips. I LOVE BURMA. But I did a bit of "dangerous" stuffs, squeezing into a back of van with local men and pretending to sleep when we reach police posts so they wouldn't ask me questions. And dressing up and pretending to be a local's wife and biking around with him and entering illegal entrances for tourists, just for the heck of it and rebel against the junta by not paying the tourist fees. Almost got arrested by the soldiers.

Generally it's safe, especially if you look Southeast Asian, because everyone wants to help you. :D
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 12, 06:15 AM by shakeleg »

Offline shakeleg

• Traveller
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 12, 06:06 AM »
Anyway Nyx,  I realised the posts are not in order. you should start reading from this post - the very first. http://jalanjalan.travellerspoint.com/2/

I went through the posts, suddenly feel so sentimental. :) I'd totally forgotten I had this blog and googled it and found it. I was so young then.

"i went to Burma not to see its well-known pagodas and stupas. i wanted to talk to people there. upon reflection, i realise i had skipped so many attractions. i only went to shwedagon in yangon. and mingun and u bein in mandalay, and less than 10 of the 2,000 pagodas in Bagan. but i didn't feel that i had missed out on anything. after all, there is only so much ruins, caves, waterfalls i can take. and a burmese waterfall couldn't compare with the great niagara, so no loss there. it's the people that make Burma special."

"if you're pitching your excitement level on the attractiveness of the locations, you're going to be sorely disappointed. i mean, what is so interesting about visiting a cheroot or bag-weaving factory. yawn, they're a complete bore. and not to mention, highly touristy. what's exciting, really, is going into a teashop and bumping into a local who would chat with you for hours and later take you home to visit his family. what's interesting is going into a school and playing catch with the little kids. what's unforgettable is putting on a longyi, just like the locals do, smearing thanaka paste on your cheeks, carrying a shan bag over your shoulder and then sitting with them at the markets and offering to babysit their little boys and girls. go trekking, have dinner with the local families, sleep in monasteries... those were the things i did which i so enjoyed."

"and i know i will definitely visit this place again, just so i could soothe the ache in my heart."

Offline goldengoh

• Traveller
    • OBRacing
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 12, 07:16 AM »
great posts on your blog.
went to myanmar in 06 and 2010.

you're right about the big draw being the people.
they are so willing to bring you into their lives.

the best memories i brought back were the times spent with the locals that i met there.

Offline goldengoh

• Traveller
    • OBRacing
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 12, 07:19 AM »
i wonder is there are still those anti capitalist slogans in the papers and how much else has changed now that the junta has loosened its grip on the country. in a selfish way i am sad for the change that will definitely come.

Offline shakeleg

• Traveller
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 12, 01:23 PM »
Sorry, paranoid android kicking in. Deleted last two posts because I still want to go to the country so I'd better keep my political views to myself. Want to discuss Burma, talk privately la. :D

Offline sll24

• Traveller
« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 12, 12:46 PM »
i'm thinking of going to myanmar in August.

8-9 day trip.

Need some tips about how it's like for ladies to travel solo.

what to watch out for and what's to see there? :)

i went about 3 years ago. was so worried something would happen to me i left a copy of all my important docs with a friend before i left!

those fears went unrealized. i was treated very respectfully there in general. the men did not leer, try to chat you up or otherwise stare you up and down like they do in india, turkey etc.

hotels in the major tourist areas are generally safe, and i generally felt safe walking around at night. if anything, you have to be worried about the lack of adequate street lighting and walking into a pothole!

Offline bear

• Traveller
    • http://www.dopeydwarf.blogdrive.com
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 12, 12:47 AM »
Are there cheap accommodations in myanmar or must i stay in hotels only? 

Offline Dounut

• Traveller
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 12, 11:50 AM »
When I was there, most places have guesthouses with private room, which usually included breakfast, attach shower etc for US$1-4.  Should be much better condition now.  I don't see what is the problem of female traveling alone i Myanmar.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 12, 11:51 AM by Dounut »

Offline jacoob

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 13, 04:11 AM »
it's a buddhist country. it's fine.
just exercise usual precautions.

met quite a few lone female travellers in myanmar.
if you're chinese, you'll blend in, no one will notice u.

don;t wear sleeveless/ shorts in temples.

Even if you wear sleeveless they provide white shawls which lets you cover up before heading into the temples... nonetheless you are right.. if you show more skin all eyes will be on you  >:D

Offline excalibur324

• Traveller
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 13, 06:04 AM »
When I was there, most places have guesthouses with private room, which usually included breakfast, attach shower etc for US$1-4.  Should be much better condition now.  I don't see what is the problem of female traveling alone i Myanmar.

prices are higher now. more than the other SEA counterparts.

dorm can be 5-8USD included breakfast but shared bathroom.

shouldnt be a problem travelling alone.
????? ??? ????

Offline Skytng

« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 13, 05:37 PM »
Sounds like an interesting country, will add it to my list.

Thread starter can post some of your experience if you are ever back in this forum.

Offline dappledgrass

« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 13, 03:07 AM »
planning a trip there this yr. any recommendation for where to book guesthouse?

poolgirl, may i know which guesthouse u stayed at?

i am trying not to get free and easy package from travel agency but to book the accommodation and tickets separately. ;D

Offline lecxy615

• Traveller
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 13, 10:34 AM »
I went there for 6 days alone last year. Visited Yangon, Bagan and Mandalay. I oso helped my parents and their friends to plan their itinerary for the same (Yangon, Bagan and Mandalay). Super like Bagan and Mandalay. Don't have time to visit Inle Lake  :icon_pale: if go there for 8 days, should be able to cover these 4 famous places (Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay & Inle Lake).