Author Topic: Sichuan : Chengdu - 15 Days  (Read 3861 times)

Offline ngozumpa

• Traveller
Sichuan : Chengdu - 15 Days
« on: Jan 20, 12, 02:36 PM »
Hi,

I am planning a 15 days trip to Chengdu in late Mar.

Please refer to my thread in LP-TT http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2153759&messageID=19419738#19419738.

Any suggestions and advices?  :P
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 12, 03:08 AM by Karel »

Offline wei

• Traveller
Re: 15 Days in Chengdu
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 12, 02:56 PM »
Xiahe and some other places like Langmusi and all are good for Tibetan culture, but you have to check the situation before you go. Even though these are non-TAR regions and you do not need a Tibet permit for these places, there are chances that these places are closed to foreigners due to unrest. Currently there is a bout of unrest in Tibetan regions like TAR and Xiahe. The Chinese authorities have stopped issuing TAR permits for Feb and March. Xiahe is closed off to visitors. I was in a similar situation last July. Was planning on hitting Xiahe, then met fellow travellers who claimed Xiahe was closed. Apparently, some tourists took a bus to Xiahe, but after the bus was stopped and authorities checked everybody's id, they sent the tourists back to wherever they came from. I was lucky. I took my chance and continued on my journey as planned and the tourists ban was lifted a day or two before I arrived. Keep yourself updated by reading LP forum or the news. Even if you are already in Chengdu, you will have to keep checking with the locals or find out from your hostel or guesthouse. Good luck.

Offline ngozumpa

• Traveller
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 12, 06:29 PM »
Yah I read that TAR will be closed til end Mar, and about the current unrest.

I am thinking of going from the north, maybe from Xining to Tongren to Xiahe, then to Langmusi and enter Aba. Garze I think will be closed indefinitely.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 12, 05:44 AM by ngozumpa »

Offline wei

• Traveller
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 12, 02:21 PM »
Tongren, Xiahe and Aba are prone to closure. Some of the incidents of monks protests or where the monks set themselves on fire happened in temples in these area. Make sure you check with the locals before you hop on the buses for these places, or else you may be sent back to where you come from.

Offline calvin2224

• Traveller
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 12, 03:24 PM »
Tibetan areas in Sichuan may be closed to tourists as well. Kham, for example. The bus I was traveling in was stopped at a control point outside Yading and a soldier boarded the bus to look for foreigners. This was in 2008 not long after some unrest in TAR.

Offline nuts

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • Roving Light Travel Photography
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 12, 02:36 AM »
I was going opposite direction Chengdu-Lanzhou last Jun/Jul bcoz TIbet closed to foreigners also. ALso heard many closures (esp Garze), but carried on the journey w/o any problems luckily. My highlight is Sertha, the biggest Tibetan Buddhist Institute in China/world.

http://rrr.roving-light.com/2011/06/into-heart-of-buddhism.html

Unfortunately, some of the unrest incidents happened near there, but if the roads are opened when u enquire in Chengdu, can consider going there if u have time.

Offline ngozumpa

• Traveller
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 12, 10:52 AM »
Thanks all for your comments.

Sertha looks very interesting, considering I have always been interested in Tibetan Buddhism.
But this whole unrest and suppression is getting a bit depressing. And the unrest seems to be spreading, with all the sensitive anniversaries so near. I don't really want to travel to a land of blood and misery. Especially since I am ethnic Chinese. For some reason, I always feel a bit guilty when I meet exiled Tibetans in Nepal and India (I have been to Dharamsala).

Anyway, I will be going Nepal for a month first. Then maybe I will access the situation and see if it's ok to go.

Offline furfur

• Traveller
    • Furious Panda!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 12, 01:13 PM »
Here's an article that TAR and it's surrounding regions will be closed to foreigners at least for Mar.
 http://www.thelandofsnows.com/tibet-closed-march/
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey

http://thefuriouspanda.com

Offline furfur

• Traveller
    • Furious Panda!
Re: Sichuan : Chengdu - 15 Days
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 12, 07:18 AM »
I'm in Chengdu now, and can confirm that as of today, anything west of Kangding is closed off to foreigners. I tried getting into Daocheng and Yading but everyone says the police checkpoints will turn you back. So I had to detour from Shangri-La to Chengdu via Panzhihua.

Maybe the situation will change in April. I'll edit this post once I get news.

Edit: TAR is opened. and they are issuing out permits again for 2012.
« Last Edit: Mar 30, 12, 11:21 PM by furfur »
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey

http://thefuriouspanda.com