Author Topic: Japan : 9 days in winter  (Read 2476 times)

Offline paapoopa

• Traveller
Japan : 9 days in winter
« on: Nov 09, 11, 09:55 AM »
have a 9 days break this dec,
was thinking of going shirakawa-go village near takayama, to experience the winter and to see the beautiful village cover with snow. Am planning to stay in the village house.

do I need to make reservation in advance? if yes, how can i do that? it seems like most of the people dont understand english.

« Last Edit: Nov 10, 11, 01:06 AM by Karel »

Offline ropsie

• Traveller
    • Girl on the Go
Re: Japan : 9 days in winter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 12, 09:08 AM »
In Japan most of the time, people don't really understand English unless it's the younger folks or you're in the city. As for reservation, I suggest you use either simple Japanese or ask someone to help you do the booking when you make the phonecall. I've stayed at Shirakawago twice before free and easy and it was a lovely experience though I've not tried it during winter. Recommend you stay at Magoemon http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/db/shirakawago/magoemon.htm but suggest you reserve early coz I think it's popular. Alternatively, you can try Koemon but I prefer the former.

Offline ropsie

• Traveller
    • Girl on the Go
Re: Japan : 9 days in winter
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 12, 05:52 AM »
haha I tink each season is equally beautiful......at the moment (coz I havent gone in winter yet)...I prefer summer in Japan coz everywhere seems to be happenin with festivals...and nice time to eat zaru-soba...