Author Topic: Tasmania  (Read 1495 times)

Offline devilish_me

• Traveller
Tasmania
« on: May 03, 06, 02:26 AM »
Boy was I excited to see Tasmania with my own eyes. Had been wanting so much to visit Tassie but always felt the airtic was too expensive (yes, call me a CHEAPO!). This time, since we were in Adelaide, decided to pop by Tassie for a short visit. We flew JetStar which only costed us A$100 each (incl taxes).

Somehow, Tassie felt quite different from the other parts of australia? Maybe I'm imagining things but the people, culture and landscape seemed kind of different...it felt more like NZ??! When driving through the mountains and along the coastlines in Tassie...I was reminded very much of our trip to southern NZ.

Having only less than 6days in Tassie and so much to do..we were raring to go. Wanting to do as much as possible...we really worn out the car tires by covering great distances. We toured a huge part of the eastern region during our very short stay in Tassie (huon, hobart, tasman, up the eastern coast all the way to St Helens...then to Launceston (via Scottsdale) and back to Hobart via the Heritage Trail.

You know how Tassie is well known for the Tasmanian devil?? Well, the funny thing is...we didn't see one! I mean..we managed to do so much things and yet we missed the very 'must-see' tassie icon.

What I remembered most of our tassie trip are the following:

- Mt Wellington (such a long, winding drive up to the peak but the view was definitely well worth it. Really chilly up there!!)

- drive to Port Arthur (the coasts between Sorell to Dunalley were breathtaking! I was really awed by the tasman blowhole/arch and devils kitchen. The stories of Port Arthur told by our guide were captivating)

- Huon Franklin Cottage - our very first B&B experience and it was great! Our room was really pretty and cosy and our hosts and their pets were extremely friendly.

- Salamanca market. There are many such markets - at least one in every big australian city but I found this the most interesting. I liked that it's open-air (though it was drizzling when I was there) and so vibrant - what's with the many colorful stalls and their interesting wares, the buskers singing, the smell of yummy hotdogs..it was just fantastic!

- Freycinet National Park. Lovely beaches as well as rocky coasts. The half hour climb up to the Wineglass bay lookout was definitely worth it though I almost died of exhaustion.

- Nine Mile Beach. We didn't see the beach until we reached the end of the nine miles..but it was just amazing. We had the whole beach to ourselves..we picked up some big beautiful seashells as souvenirs to remind us of this lovely beach. We can see the Freycinet mountains from the beach.

- Scamander where we stayed for the night. Fantastic view from our hotel room and great fish & chips from across.

- St Columba Falls. Magnificent. Made me feel so small but I was awed.

- Gorge at Launceston. Amazing that this huge gorge is right next to the city centre. We enjoyed a nice long walk along the gorge..taking in the beautiful sights and the wonderful art of nature.

- Heritage trail. The historic towns had so much charm. The lovely sandstone buildings, the interesting bric-a-brac shops, the convict remains.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 11, 10:51 AM by Karel »

Offline devilish_me

• Traveller
Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 06, 02:28 AM »
ACCOMMODATIONS

Lindisfarne Motor Inn
The motor inn is approx 10-15min drive from the airport on the East Derwent Hwy. There are family rooms/units available. With attached bathroom (w bathtub), electric blanket, tv, coffee/tea making facilities, heater. I thought the room was a little dingy and dark. Though I'm typically not too fussy with accommodation...I thought it was definitely not value for money! Continental breakfast was normal and the only perk was a slight river view from the restaurant.
Unique Qualities: Nothing much to boast about.
Comparative Price: more expensive than average
Prices: US$40-80
Address: 101-105 East Derwent Hwy Lindisfarne
Phone: ( 03 ) 62438666

Chancellor Inn Scamander
Fantastic view!!! Room facilities include attached bathroom, tv, fridge, iron/board, tea/coffee making facilities, heating, free parking, swimming pool, spa/sauna (under renovations), bbq, sky channel, lounge, restaurant. The room was clean. Opp the inn was a take-away food place (the grilled/breaded flake/flathead was yummy!).
Unique Qualities: The view of course!
Comparative Price: about average
Address: Tasman Hwy, Scamander, Tasmania
Phone: ( 61 3 ) 6372 5255

Huon Franklin Cottage
Rates 4* and AAA..this quaint little cottage B&B has got quite some charm. 2 rooms each with queen beds, ensuites, air-conditioning, tv/video player, each with an interesting history of its former occupants. Facing the Huon River and mountains..the views are lovely. There are tea/coffee making facilities, disabled facilities, spa, mini gym, videotape collection. Hosts (Peter and Judi) are most friendly and their pets are the sweetest! We stayed in The Parlour -with its very english deco and furnishing and cute soft toys all over the place - you'll feel very much at home and young again. Homemade bread by Judi for breakfast is yummy.
Comparative Price: less expensive than average
Prices: US$20-40
Type: Bed and Breakfast
Address: 3554 Huon Hwy, Franklin, Tasmania
Phone: (03) 6266 3040 HP: 0410 66 3040

Hobart MidCity Hotel
Very short walk to Hobart Docks, Salamanca and the shopping district is just round the corner. No frills and clean. Room comes with Austar/TV13, king/queen bed, free parking, tea/coffee making facilities, email access lines etc. There's also a gaming centre, bookstore and lounge.
Unique Qualities: fantastic location!
Address: Cnr Elizabeth and Bathurst Sts, Hobart, Tasmania
Phone: 1800 030 966

Penny Royal Motel
The room was interesting like living in a castle. I think kids will love it. The room was spacious and equipped with attached bathroom (shower no bathtub), tv, fridge, tea/coffee making facilities, parking. Room rate included continental bf and 15% discount on entry to Penny Royal World. It's a very short walk to the gorge.
Unique Qualities: Interesting looking rooms and facade..the kids will love it.
Address: 147 Paterson Street, Launceston City
Phone: +61 3 6331 6699

« Last Edit: Oct 07, 11, 10:53 AM by Karel »