Author Topic: Travel Buddies  (Read 10400 times)

Offline foodfiend

• Traveller
    • Wanderlust Wiki
Re: Travel companion forum is bullshit
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 11, 01:27 AM »
ranjan,

You should try to make it down to the next meeting and meet some of the people in the flesh. Many have loads of stories to trade and do it before and after the presentations. I always end up leaving at about 2330hrs because I have to catch the last bus home, else I would probably stay even longer!

foodfiend

Offline travelbug

• Administrator
  • Traveller
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 11, 12:22 PM »
lovetravel and travelmm

We will watch out for this 'gene' person. May not be useful to ban him since it would be presumptuous to do so before 'anything happens'. It would be easy enough for him to register another id. Please let us know if the annoyance continues.

Offline Sherise

• Traveller
« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 11, 04:11 AM »
Success rate is quite low...
out of every 20 replies I receive,maybe 1 eventually makes the trip.  It's a numbers game.

but if you are someone who doesn't mind going along to wherever you haven't been, you can always find me and I can plan for you and we can go together!

Offline weecheng

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • http://weecheng.com
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 11, 12:46 PM »
Sherise,

Many people on this forum have travelled with others - myself included, on 3 trips at least.  Honestly, if you don't come for the gatherings, it's difficult to strike friendships and rapport, or persuade people to seriously consider joining you on a journey.  It's difficult to find people who want to join a stranger on journeys, unless they share the desire to go to the same place at the same time. However, people may make the extra effort to try to join friends at a place that they might not consider visiting otherwise, at a time that may not necessarily be their number one preferred travel period.

In short, come over to our events to introduce yourself and make friends.  Other things would follow naturally.

Wee Cheng

Offline Sherise

• Traveller
« Reply #19 on: Aug 17, 11, 10:00 AM »
Ermm..actually been a regular at these outings. I talked to you, but you're getting famous! probably too many people who know you but not the other way round.

Nevertheless please intro me some people to travel with !  (anyone you know for Jordan or NZ or Tibet next year?) Most of the people I talk to at the gatherings travel individually...

Offline weecheng

• Administrator
  • Traveller
« Reply #20 on: Aug 17, 11, 11:47 AM »
Oops, sorry.  Alas, is Sherise your name, or is that an online nickname?  Next time, say hi to me and let me know that we have chatted here:)

Offline weecheng

• Administrator
  • Traveller
« Reply #21 on: Aug 17, 11, 11:49 AM »
Sherise, were you the one who asked me last Friday for tips on Jordan?  And then I introduced you to a few people?

Offline fang

• Traveller
« Reply #22 on: Aug 17, 11, 02:50 PM »
just curiosity, did you manage to jio anyone on the forum for any of your trips?for me, i tried to jio once, to pakistan. made it for the trip cos we both wanted to go to the country and didnt want to travel alone. so in that sense, destination was more important than companion.also managed to find someone to travel together for my second trip , this time round it was thorn tree forum.but because i m not really a planner, so the trip turned out quite bizarre...didnt manage to see much.:p   

Offline Sherise

• Traveller
« Reply #23 on: Aug 30, 11, 09:03 AM »
weecheng..yes.  But thanks for setting up this forum anyway, I don't know anything else like this and it helped me meet some likeminded people.

I have always been thought as the strange one because we are not the conventional tour types which forms like 80% of the majority.

fang..yes. 1) China with siyimi here. 2) india with calvin and another guy 3) turkey/greece with 4 other people.
But I have proposed loads more though.

Offline Karel

• Traveller
  • formerly known as Lion
    • karel
Re: Travel Buddies
« Reply #24 on: Aug 31, 11, 04:51 AM »
There has been some discussion about the travel buddie board lately. Some members would like to see more and better results.

As some members have pointed out, it would help if more people would be a bit more specific in their posts, mentioning things like itinerary, budget, age, and gender. And since most people don't click on every post, it would be helpful to mention the destination and travel period in the subject, so that people can see what your post is about in a glance.

But we want to go further and try out a structural change, because everybody will agree that it's just not practical to have a board with more than 30 pages. To make things a bit more transparent, we're chopping up the travel buddie board in more manageable chunks. We're creating separate boards per year, based on the earliest possible departure date. It'll look like :

Travel Buddies
-------------------
- Let's Travel in 2012
- Let's Travel in 2011
- Let's Travel in 2010

Of course, if the travel date changes, the post can be moved from one year to the next. And if a post doesn't have a travel date, because the date is flexible, than that post goes in the current year, and can be moved to the next year in November or December.
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 11, 04:53 AM by Karel »