Author Topic: Travel Buddies  (Read 10404 times)

Offline explorer88

Travel Buddies
« on: Jun 30, 11, 05:36 PM »
You can't find travel companion at all despite those people claiming themselves to be very outgoing and open minded. That's my opinion. Either that or its discrimination against age, skin colour, country blah blah blah. This is going to be interesting.
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 11, 04:52 AM by Karel »

Offline terryseow

• Traveller
  • Quiet,peace and green...
Re: Travel companion forum is bullshit
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 11, 11:56 AM »
Sometime,I do agree.
That's why I start to get sick of this forum.

Terry

Offline wei

• Traveller
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 11, 02:01 PM »
On the home page of sgtravel cafe, staring right at you when you open the site, it says:
"sgtravelcafe is a social platform for all travellers in Singapore to share their travel experiences and meet up other like-minded travellers. New friendships can be built, exotic tales told and travel tips exchanged."

it has never been stated that this forum is a "travel companion forum". Instead, this is just one of the many avenues you can explore if you are searching for a travel buddy. travelling with someone else is never easy. This is not so much about the race, age or sex or whatever you think it is. In fact, one can have an unhappy experience travelling with family members or best friends. there are lots of things to consider when looking for a travel buddy. yes, we can be open-minded, but it does not means open-minded people will definitely click with each other. there is still things like interests which matters. i don't think it is right to rip into this forum or its community just because you cannot find a travel buddy. seriously, if it is so easy to find a travel buddy, i don't think people need to post on forums. if you dislike what this forum has to offer, then feel free not to visit the site, instead of trying to stir things up. i am sure there are many people like me, who appreciates the friendships forged through this website.

Offline kolya

• Traveller
    • Flickr Photo Site
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 11, 07:19 AM »
explorer88 & terryseow:

get over it.
if you can't travel alone, or find like-minded friends to join you, then accept that this sites does NOT work like a dating agency. a travel companion is never guaranteed. even if you do travel alone, you aren't really traveling alone if you'd allow it: opening up your mind, and putting up at hostels is a great way to meet travelers and potential travel companions (for part or possibly even the rest of the journey.) if you're disagreeable, there's always the choice of parting amicably, no strings attached.

and even if you do find one, it may not be a perfect match, so be prepared to live with that decision and not come back and whine and complain about your companion. it is all about compromise and communication, but it seems that most unhappy matches do not, and refused to do so. then again, a certain level of maturity is required, which appears to be sorely lacking in certain travelers.

terryseow, merely out of sheer curiosity, if it "still feels good to be alone," why do you still bother to keep looking?

Hi,

I'm fully understand how you feels....
This happens at time..For me,the first meeting also turn up well.But the moment,we landed,the problems starts.
My worst experience is my other buddy (yes! from SGTravel ),was totally not happy about everything,walk too far,spend too much on Hotel and eat too expensive.Basically a stingy people!
End up,I left her alone and check out the Hotel in the middle of the night.

After that time,I travel alone and still feels good to be alone.

Terry
Half the fun of travel is the esthetic of lostness...

Offline lovetravel

• Traveller
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 11, 04:18 PM »
Well,ppl here or friends you meet outside one hv to excerise caution,go in with an open mind.gv n take,talk things out n compromise in order to hv a happy trip.

One member here l find is very insincere,he contact ppl for fun,talk so much then nv turn up.play ppl out.sick in mind l think.  "GENE", so beware of him if he ever contact u.

Offline zoossh

• Traveller
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 11, 01:49 PM »
no, it is not easy to get a companion depending on the location and duration u r going. it is usually easier for places that more people wants to go within affordable cost and distance, that family members would not want to go. once u stretches the duration and cost, less and less people wants to go and u had more difficulty getting mates.

my suggestion is voice out your interest and the places u r to cover, and try to find people with the same interests - afterall that is often the reason one sought online as family members, gd friends or colleagues often turn out to have vastly different interests when they are overseas. if u r the type that isn't very intense on getting what u want and are willing to compromise, group travelling is good. strongly opinionated people and people who cares a lot and must visit certain places with little compromise, are better off travelling alone - one shouldn't be unwilling to compromise and still wants mates for companionship and save cost, that is selfish.

this forum merely offers an platform, so dun expect so much about it. and singaporeans are often tied down to job commitment and it is not always easy for them to confirm on the dates if it is easy for you.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 11, 01:51 PM by zoossh »

Offline Sherise

• Traveller
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 11, 03:54 PM »
the forum gave me hope to look for a travel buddy.

I have posted that s. america trip on sgtravel for 2 years. I am still looking.

Offline travelbug

• Administrator
  • Traveller
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 11, 03:30 AM »
General difficulty in finding travel companions? Agree.
Need to improve this forum (format, philosophy)? Agree.

The travel companion forum has been the most active sub-forum here since we started, so clearly that 'hope' to find companions is always there, even more so than the desire to search for info or exchange tales.

There are 'failure to find companions' stories, but we know there are also 'success' stories. Can anyone share specifically on these?

Are there other sites we can refer folks here to, or we can learn from? Travel companions-specific ones like mytravelkaki.com, travel-companion.net or travelersmeet.com? Sub-forums of sites like sgforums.com, travelfish.org or clubsnap.com? Anyone has experiences with these (and other) sites?

p.s. explorer88 & terryseow,
meeting other travellers first at our gatherings (or your own) always seem to help

Offline Dounut

• Traveller
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 11, 04:30 AM »
The very first time I started to travel, I also try to look for companion, my trip was postpone again and again, becos I did not manage to find anyone who was interested then ....

I finally realized I won't be going anywhere if I continue to hang on to it.  Thus, I decided to go on my own.  For the past years I had been traveling, I was always by myself.  I no longer hard up for a companion, even when friend was keen to tag along.  Travel on your own is actually an asset, except that it might be less cost effective.

My conclusion: Companion is by chance, not by choice.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 11, 04:32 AM by Dounut »

Offline foodfiend

• Traveller
    • Wanderlust Wiki
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 11, 04:34 AM »

Offline travelsnapper

• Traveller
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 11, 06:35 AM »
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 11, 06:44 AM by travelsnapper »

Offline travelmm

• Traveller
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 11, 08:17 AM »
One member here l find is very insincere,he contact ppl for fun,talk so much then nv turn up.play ppl out.sick in mind l think.  "GENE", so beware of him if he ever contact u.
Yes,I ever spoken to that "GENE LOW" last few day cuz I paste the forum of travel Myanmar or INdia or Japan, he call me said he not interested of travel India/myanmar n Japan is expensive, ask me go Thailand/Taiwan which I not interested. I just said next time. HE can so BoLiao SMS to me:"Wat r u doing weekend, do u smoke/drink"

Offline lovetravel

• Traveller
« Reply #12 on: Jul 23, 11, 02:13 PM »
Just ignore him.whatever countries you suggest you will end up nowhere with tat sicko.More boliao will surface.Later he will even tell you abt a "soup" (is that the correct word) story abt his heavy lost in a business n still can suggest go travelling.  ????!!!!!  .Wonder can moderator ban him in case he irritate or do something not nice.

Offline limkopi

• Traveller
    • caffeine-intoxicated snaps!
« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 11, 04:31 PM »
Like what the others have mentioned, this travel forum is merely a platform to SHARE, but it can also be a useful tool to find what you want, be it travel information or companions, provided that you understand its merits & limitations, & make the best use out of it. There is no guarantee or promise that you will definitely find what you want, & what work for some may not always work for others or you.

No one here is obliged to reply all your questions about a country like a geography teacher, or suggest an itinerary & budget for you like a tour agent, or even find & match you with a compatible travel buddy like a dating agency... If you feel really disappointed (for not being able to find anything you want here), you are probably disappointed by your own ASSUMPTION. This forum doesn't owe anyone anything.

By the way, if you see it from another perspective... How would you perceive someone who does nothing but complain about how useless this forum is, or how horrible his / her previous travel companion was during the trip? Would you wanna travel with this person???

Offline ranjan

• Traveller
  • in search of the djinn fairy ... azur et asmar
« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 11, 07:24 AM »
Hi there. I confess I may have let someone down before, for a trip to Uzbekistan, but which I did get to later when my schedule permitted. I felt really bad about that..

But yes, I had also been "disappointed" when others backed out of another trip to Tunisia. But like food fiend, my appetite was all worked up, and I went anyway! One of my truly best trips n treks ever.. So I am very thankful for the forum to have made me just get n do it!

And I thank the many who give tips in all the postings. So this is really quite a useful forum for me..  maybe I haven't met many pp, but i've surely had some very nice exchanges.. Tks everyone!

Rj