Author Topic: [oeyvind] Tibet : Xizang - October/November 2010  (Read 5907 times)

Offline oeyvind

• Traveller
[oeyvind] Tibet : Xizang - October/November 2010
« on: Nov 24, 10, 10:02 PM »
Just like to share some photos from a recent trip to Tibet in Oct/Nov.

Thanks for looking ^^
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 11, 06:29 AM by Karel »

Offline fang

• Traveller
Re: [oeyvind] Tibet : Xizang - October/November 2010
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 10, 03:00 PM »
hi,
    thanks for sharing, your photos are very nice...i haven't been to tibet before, your photos  rekindle all my interest in tibet again. btw, did you do the road trip from chengdu to tibet?? then travelled around tibet? even went to ali? so you had your own transport?  isn't late oct too late to travel to tibet? what were the places you went? expensive trip? paiseh for bombarding you with all the questions.

xf

Offline oeyvind

• Traveller
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 10, 04:55 PM »
hi,
    thanks for sharing, your photos are very nice...i haven't been to tibet before, your photos  rekindle all my interest in tibet again. btw, did you do the road trip from chengdu to tibet?? then travelled around tibet? even went to ali? so you had your own transport?  isn't late oct too late to travel to tibet? what were the places you went? expensive trip? paiseh for bombarding you with all the questions.

xf

We flew into Lhasa from Chengdu. Within Tibet, we have a 4WD with driver and a guide for the road trip (yeah all the way to Ngari).

We got into Lhasa abt Oct 15 and stayed till Nov 2. Basically the journey took us from Lhasa to Gyatse, Shigatse, Everest Base Camp, then from there towards Ngari then back. towards Lhasa and Namtso before Lhasa.

Expensive? Well it's not bad actually.

Offline blurfoto

• Traveller
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 10, 03:16 PM »
oeyvind,
thanks for sharing those beautiful moments
how was the climate like and what kind of clothing one should prepare?

actually the place looks so barren, wonder how they actually survive at such high altitudes?
hearsay they use yak dung as fuel?  :o

Offline oeyvind

• Traveller
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 10, 03:19 PM »
oeyvind,
thanks for sharing those beautiful moments
how was the climate like and what kind of clothing one should prepare?

actually the place looks so barren, wonder how they actually survive at such high altitudes?
hearsay they use yak dung as fuel?  :o

Thanks... the weather when I was there was pretty decent actually the lowest was only abt -2 or -3, in the day it can climbs to abt 16 C or so. But it's very windy and cold in Ngari region, even more colder than Everest base camp.

Yeah, I did see the yak dung being used as fuel source.

The conditions outside cities like Lhasa and Shigatse can be a bit rudimentary as well.

Offline blurfoto

• Traveller
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 10, 03:35 PM »
yeah the wind can bring down the temperature pretty drastically 
may i ask what you actually eat there? i.e the food.

oh yeah, saw the news that some big corporate gonna buy those old houses & develop them into a holiday resort  ::)

Offline oeyvind

• Traveller
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 10, 03:38 PM »
yeah the wind can bring down the temperature pretty drastically 
may i ask what you actually eat there? i.e the food.

oh yeah, saw the news that some big corporate gonna buy those old houses & develop them into a holiday resort  ::)

While on the road to Ngari...your best bet is ?? (Sichuanese food).

Second question.... cannot comment as I don't know, but I don't think so.

Offline blurfoto

• Traveller
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 10, 03:41 PM »
Thanks ... actually what you had during your stay in tibet
btw, does your camera comes attached with GPS as I notice all your foto are geotagged?

Offline oeyvind

• Traveller
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 10, 03:48 PM »
Thanks ... actually what you had during your stay in tibet
btw, does your camera comes attached with GPS as I notice all your foto are geotagged?

Don't understand your first question. I use a QStarz BT-Q1000X for geotagging.

Offline blurfoto

• Traveller
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 10, 03:58 PM »
Thanks! nevermind ... i always have impression that tibet is still remote as ever. little did i realise that enterprising szechuan folks have already setup many restaurants in tibet now :)

???????,???????????????,???????????,??????"????""????"???.?????,????????????????

Offline waikato

• Traveller
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 11, 04:43 AM »
Tibet is not remote anymore- one can even take a flight now to vicinity of Mt Kailash. One can hardly distinguish most of the bigger towns/cities in Tibet with that of other China provinces except more Tibetans (you see more Tibetans in northern Yunnan and many parts of Sichuan and Qinghai anyway). Way back in 2003, I have to go to the Tibetan Quarters in Shiigatse to see Tibetan houses as the (Tibet's 2nd biggest) city is predominated by Han Chinese.

Offline oeyvind

• Traveller
« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 11, 11:41 AM »
Looks like Tibet is outta bound again until further notice http://reut.rs/fyR2PO