Author Topic: Tibet : Travel Agency Recommendation  (Read 9414 times)

Offline weesiong

• Traveller
Tibet : Travel Agency Recommendation
« on: Sep 20, 10, 03:05 AM »
Hi,

Any travel agency recommendation for the above ?

Thanks in advance

Wee Siong
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 11, 03:49 AM by Karel »

Offline tanjem

• Jack Sparrow
  • Traveller
  • Go around the world before you reach the age of 60
Re: Tibet - Travel Agency Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 11, 09:20 AM »
Don't join the local tour here. Sucks . Go for the local tour in china. They are more adventurous and fun.
There are economical and deluxe package to chose from .  if you are worry, you can check out with the local hotels for more info. Find out the price and then chose what you want .

Offline foodfiend

• Traveller
    • Wanderlust Wiki
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 11, 09:42 AM »
I went with a Shanghai company called Tibet Travel Expert or ????.

Offline tikam

• Traveller
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 11, 03:16 PM »
Post was already half year ago but since ppl restart the thread, would like to know from tanjem and foofiend whether when you join local (as in China-based) tour, do you join the locals (Chinese)?. If yes, do the agencies apply for your Tibet permit (since we need but they don't)?

Offline foodfiend

• Traveller
    • Wanderlust Wiki
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 11, 04:35 PM »
My group was a Chinese-language tour by a PRC firm, so mainly made up of people from China and Taiwan. I was the only Singaporean, but there were 3 others not from PRC. The tour agency applied the "visa" or travel permit on our behalf.

The great thing about the agency I booked with was that they are the agents for the travel permit in Shanghai, so no hassle at all.

Offline diabos

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 11, 05:09 AM »
hi

from my experience, PRC tour groups are not that enjoyable for independent travelers. They tend to stay in the new i.e. chinese area of Lhasa and talk really loudly in their tour group. The chinese tour guides may have a more prejudiced views of the Tibetan history too.

Suggest you go to travel agent in Chengdu and get all the relevant permits etc and get a native tibetan guide or tour company to arrange your itinerary. Sims cozy guesthouse in Chengdu is a good start, used to be ran by a Singaporean guy but he has since sold it but they are still around : http://www.gogosc.com/enly_HOME.asp
My guide was referred by them and he got me the train tickets ( lhasa to Chengdu) without any extra charge while other agents put all kinds of surcharges on them. their website is http://www.omtourservice.zoomshare.com/0.html but i don;t think it's been updated for a while. His name is Wangchuk and contact is in the email.

There is still a lot of cultural difference between the tibetans and chinese and you will definitely get a better experience with a local guide. just my 2 cents

Offline foodfiend

• Traveller
    • Wanderlust Wiki
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 11, 02:02 AM »
I do agree that PRC-led tours have a biased outlook on the Chinese occupation of Tibet, however, I would contest your statement about the tour guide talking loudly, etc.

I had a great time with my group, who were a mix of PRC, Taiwanese, HK and myself. Perhaps it was because a number were independent-type travellers, and so we hit it off real well despite the different backgrounds.

Offline weesiong

• Traveller
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 11, 12:06 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I finally went in Nov 2010 - early Winter

I travel via local agency in Tibet , my itinerary is a modified version of the standard eastern loop

Let me know if anyone here needs information, cheers   ;D

Offline cherie

• Traveller
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 11, 05:08 AM »
Hello Weesiong,

How do u find your agency? Any good?

I'm thinking to go next month as well. Would love to hear from you. Thanks!

Offline belgarathc

• Traveller
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 11, 06:10 AM »
I am going there November as well and likely let Sim's Cozy do the arrangement with the train tickets and tours.

Offline cherie

• Traveller
Re: Tibet : Travel Agency Recommendation
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 11, 06:19 AM »
Hello,

Which date are u going?

There are just 2 of us. If u are interested, email me. Can save quite a bit. ;)

My flight is already confirmed. I'm reaching Chengdu on 26th nov, taking the train on 28th.

Spoke to more than 7 agencies and in the end, I picked the agency fr Tibet. Like their attitude and efficiency.

My email ; maameemoomoo at gmail dot com

Sherie

Offline belgarathc

• Traveller
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 11, 01:19 AM »
Hi,

My friends and I have also fixed our flights and dates (10th Nov).

Thanks.

Offline TanSE

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 12, 12:36 AM »
I would like to do the Tibet Tour(Railway) from Chengdu in mid October this year.
My wife and I prefer to take a Singapore Travel Group Tour because we belief they cater more for local preferrence.
It seems like only Ik Chin and SingExpress go via Chengdu.
Can anyone comment on the quality of service for this 2 Travel Agent?