Author Topic: secure backpack for check in  (Read 4736 times)

Offline nikonll

secure backpack for check in
« on: Aug 05, 10, 08:38 AM »
Hi, how do you guys secure your backpack for checkin? i got some compartment which cant be locked.

Offline furfur

• Traveller
    • Furious Panda!
Re: secure backpack for check in
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 10, 11:25 AM »
I use a raincover that covers entire backpack, then lock the two zips together.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. -Edward Abbey

http://thefuriouspanda.com

Offline nikonll

« Reply #2 on: Aug 05, 10, 11:35 AM »

won't the cover tear easily when they rough handle the bag?

Offline terryseow

• Traveller
  • Quiet,peace and green...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 10, 12:02 PM »

I try too but only to find out the raincover is gone when reach my destination.
Now I do use a wire thread ( use for fishing ) to went through the hole in the zip area and secure it with a small lock.So far,not problems yet.

Terry

Offline Karel

• Traveller
  • formerly known as Lion
    • karel
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 10, 02:17 PM »
Backpacks can't be secured. A sharp object is all it takes to make a lock useless. So easy to slash a backpack.
Leave your valuables home as much as possible, and pack the ones you really need as hand luggage.

@ Terry : I've heard that before, you're not the first one to loose your raincover this way ...
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 10, 02:22 PM by Karel »

Offline nikonll

« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 10, 02:26 PM »
Backpacks can't be secured. A sharp object is all it takes to make a lock useless. So easy to slash a backpack.
Leave your valuables home as much as possible, and pack the ones you really need as hand luggage.

@ Terry : I've heard that before, you're not the first one to loose your raincover this way ...

Actually, i'm not worried about stuff stolen, more of damage while checking in... you know how they grab and throw our bags. I will be hand carrying valuables of course

Offline Hiker.DC

• Traveller
    • Dennis
« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 10, 02:20 AM »
There are some good quality, rugged backpack bag that can double up as a raincover, eg from Deuter. You can lock the 2 zips together as well. More expensive though..

Offline Karel

• Traveller
  • formerly known as Lion
    • karel
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 10, 09:29 AM »
In Peru, I saw some backpackers that used those large bags that are used to pack big quantities of potatoes or vegetables. These bags are sturdy and cheap, but I wouldn't know where to buy them here in Singapore ...

Offline calvin2224

• Traveller
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 10, 03:54 AM »

Same here. Another solution is to use http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php steel mesh netting, which is expensive and heavy.

Offline WuffRuff

• Traveller
« Reply #9 on: Oct 01, 11, 02:50 PM »
In Peru, I saw some backpackers that used those large bags that are used to pack big quantities of potatoes or vegetables. These bags are sturdy and cheap, but I wouldn't know where to buy them here in Singapore ...

LOL! DIY??
Are they like those large gunnysacks?
In Sinai, I got 2 gunnysacks from the bread shop and a nylon string from the provision shop (total <$3), and my friend from the mama shop made it into a backpack for me to go trekking.
My load was around 7 kgs and it felt ok but the nylon string would probably be uncomfortable for more weight.
A proper shoulder strap and hip belt would make it far more comfortable for higher loads.
There is a bag making shop at Lavendar where you can get them to make that for you.
They have straps and stuff also.

Offline foodfiend

• Traveller
    • Wanderlust Wiki
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 11, 05:46 AM »
You can always pack a duffle bag and place the backpack into the duffle and lock it with a lock for check-in.