Author Topic: overland travel  (Read 4436 times)

Offline commie_rick

overland travel
« on: Jul 09, 10, 10:03 AM »
on 2009 september i embarked on a trip to reach china overland.

within a week, my friend and i reach vietnam.2 days later he left for home and i continue my trip for 2months till the daunting thought of job insecurity made me go home. it was one of the best trips i ever had i long to go back on the road again. i spend less than 700SGD in total, i pride myself as a budget traveller or cheapskate if you call it.

this is where i went singapore > jb > kl > penang > hat yai > surat thani > bkk > > phenon phem  > saigon ? dalat > mue ni > nha trang
> da nang > dong hoi > vinh ? hanoi > kumming (china)

i stay in most in dorms and eat at roadside stalls only.

i will let the photos do the talking.

found a badly burnt car at a stop-over from kl to penang

temples and hostel i stayed in penang

temples in hat yai

i will post more photos if i see more support, thanks
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 10, 05:04 AM by commie_rick »

Offline belgarathc

• Traveller
    • Trip Reports
Re: overland travel
« Reply #1 on: Jul 09, 10, 03:16 PM »
SGD700 for 2 mths. That's an average of 700/60 = SGD11.67 per day.

That's just incredible. I hope you wouldn't tell us that SGD700 includes air ticket from CHN back to SGP.  :-[

Offline gchew

• Traveller
    • firsttimetraveler.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 10, 06:18 PM »
That's nice.  It's a dream of mine to do an overland trip from Singapore to UK.  700 SGD for your trip is encouraging.  Where in China did you fly back from?  I wonder how much one would need to reach the UK overland from Singapore?

Offline spearhawk

• Administrator
  • Traveller
  • dream to be a world wanderer
    • Flickr Acount
« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 10, 02:02 AM »
That's nice.  It's a dream of mine to do an overland trip from Singapore to UK.  700 SGD for your trip is encouraging.  Where in China did you fly back from?  I wonder how much one would need to reach the UK overland from Singapore?

For transportation fees from Singapore to UK, you can check this out, under London to Singapore overland section.
http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm#to%20Singapore%20overland

Offline commie_rick

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 10, 05:01 AM »
SGD700 for 2 mths. That's an average of 700/60 = SGD11.67 per day.

That's just incredible. I hope you wouldn't tell us that SGD700 includes air ticket from CHN back to SGP.  :-[

thats right i did everything on at budget, for the first 2 weeks, i bunked in with a friend so my costs greatly reduced. i did not buy any souvenirs and eat only when im hungry. in saigon i was lucky that my dorm provides free breakfast and a water dispenser, i usually wake up after 2pm. days ive nothing to do, i will be a drink that cost me sgd 1 at this cafe that screens movies.

yeah ur right, sorry to break the bubble. air ticket is 100sgd ,forgotten to include that. budget air lines from vn to sg.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 10, 05:07 AM by commie_rick »

Offline commie_rick

« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 10, 05:16 AM »

hat yai train station

from thai land to cambodia

angkor region

i will post more later

Offline cynwrigeoghan

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 13, 10:15 AM »
Travel with some good friends or learn a bit of the local language to help ease the boredom of hours in a car. It also helps to be traveling with a good tour company who don't try and cover too much distance in one day and allow you plenty of time to take in the amazing landscape, stop when you want to take photos, talk to locals and get a feel for the real Tibet, not the Chinese impression most travel companies want to give you.

Offline thexcuriousxwanderer

• Traveller
    • thexcuriousxwanderer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 13, 01:36 AM »
i love overland travel, especially when you get to borders. Then sometimes you will see the cultures and practices blur, and sometimes not, due to the political boundaries of the countries. As you travel over land, you see changes gradually - unlike in a plane where every place is a new zoo. Where does it all begin? When did it change? Those are the little things which emerge when the rice fields change to desert.

Nice to see someone enjoy his travels, keep it up, may you experience new things every day.