Author Topic: Nov 2010 : Africa (Tunisia, Namibia) anyone? or EBC  (Read 5811 times)

Offline ranjan

• Traveller
  • in search of the djinn fairy ... azur et asmar
Hi there...

Am currently planning to just get away somewhere (almost anywhere really) sometime in November 2010, to take a real break from a family vacation with nephews n nieces in June to Scotland (ie, if we don't get ashed in..)

Anyone keen for a 2-week break in Tunisia (North Africa) or Namibia via Capetown (South Africa), or even Everest Base Camp (but not sure if 2 weeks is sufficient for that)?

Need to start planning now.. Would like to sign up with either a local agency or an international one (such as GAP Adv), but am open to any suggestions...

Am used to hitting it off on my own too, so will greatly appreciate any advise or suggestions, esp for Tunisia !!

Cheers / ranjan

Offline Karel

• Traveller
  • formerly known as Lion
    • karel
Re: Nov 2010 : Africa (Tunisia, Namibia) anyone? or EBC
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 10, 09:27 AM »
I don't think there are any "uninteresting" destinations, but if you have the choice, i'd rather go to Morocco, Turkey or Egypt, in stead of Tunisia. There are lots of cheap flights from the UK to these places.

whichbudget.com shows you which budget carrier flies where.

Keep in mind that in November, Tunisia, Turkey, and the north of Morocco are not so warm anymore.

Offline ranjan

• Traveller
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 10, 03:31 AM »
Hi Karel - I have been to Morocco, Egypt and Turkey.

Thought of Tunisia on a whim, or maybe it;s just an attractive for Islamic culture and history and the myriads of patterns on the mosques. Don't mind the weather being a little colder than normal, may be nice even.. What about Libya?

cheers,

ranjan

Offline Karel

• Traveller
  • formerly known as Lion
    • karel
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 10, 05:31 AM »
yes, if you're familiar with the region, than Lybia would logically be the next step.

i'd say, get a cheap charter flight to Djerba (South-Tunisia), and continue overland into Lybia. I haven't done this, but a few years back, I had plans to do so. From what I read it's perfectly feasable.

as far as I know, it's not difficult to get a visa, it's just that you need to get a Arab translation of you passport. If not, they won't process your visa application.

and of course, since it's an isolated and traditional place, it might be usefull to learn a few words in Arab (like thank you, and counting, and that sort of stuff).

Offline weecheng

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • http://weecheng.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 10, 04:12 PM »
Libyan visas are quite difficult to obtain for Singaporeans although it may get simpler soon.  There were many last minute issues that popped out when I planned my Libyan trip in 2008 and it was only through "guanxi" that we overcome the issues.  Even then, we got into some hassle at the airport.  You may want to email some Libyan travel agencies or contact the Libyan People's Bureau (i.e., embassy) in KL to investigate further.

Offline spearhawk

• Administrator
  • Traveller
  • dream to be a world wanderer
    • Flickr Acount
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 10, 07:57 AM »
nope, 2 weeks is not enough for EBC  ;)

Offline madidas

• Traveller
« Reply #6 on: Jul 29, 10, 01:41 PM »
Hi Ranjan,

I'm keen on Tunisia, but I can only go in December, as I'm in the 'Edusector'... if u know what i mean....

My number 1 reason for visiting.. I'm a Star Wars Freak!!! But I found out there's many other interesting stuff there as well...

Instead of Libya, how about Algeria? A bit off the beaten track and a tad dangerous, but could be interesting too ....

Offline weecheng

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • http://weecheng.com
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 10, 01:26 AM »
Anyone knows how to get the Algerian visa?  Thought they need letters of invitation from travel agencies. 

Offline zingzingla

• Traveller
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 10, 02:30 AM »
Anyone knows how to get the Algerian visa?  Thought they need letters of invitation from travel agencies. 

Think S'poreans can only get their visas at the Indonesian embassy but there's no mention of a need for LOI on their website if I recall. Malaysians are one of few nationalities that don't need a visa for Algeria.

I was going thru' the Thorn Tree forum and chanced upon this Algerian agent - http://www.myuniqueholidays.com/index.html

Must say I'm very very tempted.......... ;D

Offline ranjan

• Traveller
« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 10, 01:49 AM »
Hi Madidas & Zingzing -

My schedule in December is still open at the moment, but wud very much like to keep any trip to cover Christmas & New Year - to maximise my vacation time i guess..

Do let me know if you are interested. An addition of Algeria or Libya certainly could spice up the trip and both are extremely alluring (Rai & Gadaffi both hold a fascination for me, as do souks and Roman ruins..), but it might be a daunting task ahead to get the arrangements organised..

Hi madidas - i sent an earlier email to u, but not sure if u've received.

Do send over an email if u r keen. Tks to the sgtravelcafe team for all the tips! Swell of u guys..

Cheers,

Ranjan
rj.spark@gmail.com

Offline ranjan

• Traveller
Dec 2010 / Tunisia with Sahara Walk
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 10, 08:41 AM »
Hi there,

Big pity, but I am dispensing with Algeria & Libya, and even Central Tunisia (El-Jem), etc, to do a 6-day trek across the Saharan Desert in Southern Tunisia. I will be spending about 5 days or so on my own in the northern parts of Tunisia, before taking a flight to Djerba and taking the trek (fm 27 Dec to 2 Jan).

The trek is organised by a UK group, Exodus, with probably about 10-14 people on the trek with porters etc.. So i am looking forward to hot days, and cold cold miserable nights, and walking through yellow & orange & golden sand dunes..

Yes, visa is a bit of hassle, thru the local consulate, and will hv to be processed in their embassy in Jakarta; about 3-4 weeks i guess in total, but plenty of time still..

Has anyone done a Saharan trek before?

Cheers / ranjan

Offline huey

« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 10, 11:57 PM »
hi, i'm in South Africa at the moment, looking to do a trip up from Pretoria - Mocambique - Malawi in end Nov.. interested?
 i can leave from the 16th Nov from Pretoria.. got to return to Pretoria by the 3rd December. travelling by local transport & will end up staying with a friend in Blantyre, Malawi.

Offline madidas

• Traveller
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 10, 11:28 AM »
hi ranjan,

Sorry. I'm kinda set on Lebanon, Syria and Jordan, since I've planned with a few friends.

You're still welcome to join us there though....

But that'll put the effort of applying the visa to waste

Offline ranjan

• Traveller
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 10, 08:06 AM »
Hi Huey & Madidas - my apologies for the late response, was kinda busy the last week..

Dear Huey - Nice that u r in S Africa. I would like to cover Namibia one day, but a November timing is not gonna be possible. I have a responsible job, mate (although i wud give it all up for something exceptional if that ever comes along.. - like a year in Ethiopia, or Ecuador or the like..)

Dear Madidas - no worries, Lebanon & the M/E sound really fun.. Enjoy yourselves.. Btw, just received my Tunisia visa back from the consulate (passport was away for about 5 days, but it took them about 4 weeks to process the paperwork beforehand!!).

I am going to chill out in Tunisia over Christmas & New Year, my only fear being this is going to be literal - hope temperatures remain mild in the desert!!

Will report to you all what the desert trek was like when i return in January, assuming I do, of course..

Cheers,

Ranjan