Author Topic: Myanmar trip and pics  (Read 3208 times)

Offline bear

• Traveller
    • http://www.dopeydwarf.blogdrive.com
Myanmar trip and pics
« on: Oct 08, 06, 11:05 PM »
Ok.  So i am misleading.  No pics yet.  Where am I?  Same as before, in Changi Airport waiting for my flight to myanmar.  There was a little confusion as to what flight i was to take to myanmar.  I got a ticket under Myanmar air international but it code shared with jetstar.  The issue is no meals on board since jetstar is a budget airline while i always tot myanmar air international was a regular airline :cry:

Anyway, no journal this time because simply put, i think it is easier to just put it all under one thread, especially since my trip is going to be only three days two nights.  Why is the trip so short?  Simply because i am actually not too interested in myanmar as a country but just want to visit my sponsored child.

As for pics, i cannot confirm how many pics will be posted here becuase of the myanmar authorities and of course, world vision might not look too kindly on me publicising the faces of the staff and my sponsored child.  So it will be an unknown.

Well, tts all for now..

bear
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 11, 04:47 AM by Karel »

Offline bear

• Traveller
Myanmar trip and pics
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 06, 10:13 AM »
Well, I have been in myanmar for over 30 hrs already. I can even consider my trip half over. Anyway, how would i dsecribe it so far?

Flight - I flew on Jetstar even though my coupon said Myanmar air international.  I tot i would not get a meal on board but to my surprise, they served meals :lol: .  I even asked a couple of times i i had to buy them or if they were free and the crew assured me:" They were free!!"

Myanmar airport - One word (or two):  Lok Kok.  If there had been no signs labelling it an airport, i would never have guessed.  The luggage delivery was all right though i always considered that if my luggage got through, it is all right.

Outside the airport, there were little boys holding an umbrella for me while i waited for the hotel pick up.  Of cos they "requested"  one US dollar for their trouble but i showed them my :evil:  face and said "No money."

The hotel was all right.  I had a buffet Tim Sum for lunch and a buffet dinner in the evening.  Walked around town a little but did not go very far.  Finalised arrangements to meet my child the next day.

In the morning, had another buffet breakfast before meeting the staff from world vision.  I had a briefing on the photographs and what  could post and how should i go about doing it.

At world vision, i met my child for the first time.  After an initially stiff ice breaking session, i viewed photographs and of cos learned more about their community.  After settling money issues, we went to the Royal lake for some sightseeing and photo taking.

After the trip to the Royal Lake, we went for lunch at a traditional restaurant.  Now, dun forget that i have eaten a buffet tim sum for lunch, a buffet dinner and a buffet breakfast within the last 24 hours :oops: .  How much could i still eat... Gamely, i finished my share :twisted: .

Following that, we went to the market at my request cos i hoped to get some good bargains for my child.  I wnated to buy a gif for him though I did not bring much cash.  Settled on a shirt and pants for him that he seemed to lie very much.

That marked the end of my meeting with my sponsored child.  Before i left them for good however, one of my colleagues's relatives  happened to be working at world vision and invited my to have dinner with her family.  Of cos i accepted.  That's all for now folks.

bear

Offline bear

• Traveller
Myanmar trip and pics
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 06, 11:00 AM »
OK.  For the previous night, i just ate dinner at the intenrational hotel with my friend's relatives.  Nothing to add here.

BUT TODAY there was another "misadventure".

I think all readers remember i missed my flight from buffalo some time back.  Thgis time, it was the other way around.  I was at the airport early.  Took several pics.  The plane was half an hour late so i just had coffee and waited.  My flight was due to depart at 1020 hrs, Yangon time.

1020 came and went and i was still at the departure lounge.  Worried, i asked some other ppl if they were waiting for the same flight or has it flown off.  There are no LCDs in the airport so no way of knowing if my plane had gone.

1050 boarded the plane.  Informed by the captain that due to fuel problems, there would be a delay for a few minutes.

1120 Still waiting.  I had the dubious priviledge of sitting behind a complainer.

1200.  Still waitng.  The first round of drinks and some apologies but to wait a little while more.  To the left of me, there was another "complainer".

Dun bore with all the details but as the minutes passed, there was even talk of the passengers being asked to deplane.  The person on the left of me even said he did not feel safe flying anymore because of all the delays, what is more, "fuel related".

End result?  Plane left at 1430 hrs.  The complainer and his companion in front of me disembarked while the one who complained about the safety disembarked at the last minute.

Me?  Bear?  I stayed on.  I have great patience esp since this is not going to result inme missing a flight and being budget airline, i did not have great expectations. Even if u condifered Myanmar air as a regular airline, well, i did not have great expectations of it either.  If it were SQ :twisted:

bear

Offline bear

• Traveller
Myanmar trip and pics
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 06, 11:06 AM »
Quote from: soul4travel
Actually want to tell you that ( got meal provided ) but i reckoned that u must already on the plane after the first post.  :wink:

Generally,if you are not connected to somebody in myanmar, most probably u are quite poor. ( that what some burmese told me. ). If u take a look at the Aung Sang Market,most of the items are quite cheap, yet no body are buying.

Education also a big problem there. Myanmar used to have one of the best U in SEasia, now most of them become hopeless with the intervention of the junta. Tried talking to some students there, some of their course can stopped anytime and some take 5 to 8 years to finish their degree.

I always tot budget airlines do not provide meals, at least not free ones anyway.  I did not go to many of the attractions as my sole objective was to see my sponsored child.  

My pics will be censored as necessary so u will not see everything.

Cheers.

bear

Sigh... sometimes i hoped that some superpower go and kick those junta ass's.  :evil:
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 11, 07:16 AM by Karel »

Offline bear

• Traveller
Myanmar trip and pics
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 06, 02:36 PM »
One very important thing of myanmar and those who want to go there.  There are no ATMs and most credit cards are NOT ACCEPTED like mastercard.  Only Visas.  The banking facilities is very bad with the exchange rate at banks about, i was told, 5.5 kyats to one USD while in the hotels it is 1100 kyats to 1 USD while at the organisation i was in it was 1335 kyats to 1 USD.  So travellers cheques out also.

View of the airport once i stepped out of the plane.

Hotel where i stayed.

Where I slept

Around the hotel

Ceremonial boat on royal lake.

Another view of royal lake

Market

Little bear

Army tank with little bear.

Lady in traditional costume. No prizes as to why i chose her right?

All I did was ask

Airport waiting area

Restaurant where i had most of my meals

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 11, 05:14 AM by Karel »

Offline travelbug

• Administrator
  • Traveller
Myanmar trip and pics
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 06, 04:27 AM »
Hi Bear
We have something in common. We both sponsor children in Myanmar through WV. I join their weeklong trip there in April. I assume your child has to take the 10hr bus ride to meet you. Good for him since it is probably his 1st trip to the capital.
Many changes this april compared to my 1st trip 4yrs ago. Currency stories are my favorite. Some use taxi rides to gauge a country. I use their currency systems. I was pleasantly surprised that shops still accept part of the 200usd worth of 'monopoly money' I exchanged 4yrs ago.

Offline bear

• Traveller
Re: Myanmar trip and pics
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 06, 04:53 PM »
Another addition.  My name and face is in an article in www.worldvision.org.sg.  Those who have met me know where it is.

bear