Author Topic: Foreign restaurants in Singapore  (Read 6483 times)

Offline hyun

• Traveller
Foreign restaurants in Singapore
« on: Feb 18, 07, 01:39 PM »
quiet section.  how about we talk about any restaurants serving foreign cuisine in singapore?  stuff you tried overseas that you found right here too in singapore?

Maybe i begin with a few examples ...

taiwan:
there are quite a few taiwan eats in singapore, but apart from the Shi4 Lin2 Xiao3 Chi1 at the food courts, other outlets include one just across the road from Bugis Junction (face to face with Mossy Burger).  price seems inexpensive and selection seems varied but dun think i remember ever trying it yet.

incidentally just 30 metres further down that main road is "Saigon" i think.  a Com/pho viet outlet.  price also comparatively inexpensive and reasonably tasty.

Taiwan Beef brisket noodles nearby on Liang Seah Seah, near the middle on the left hand side.

and the usual geylang Yong3 He2 Dou4 Jiang1 Da4 Wang2.

i faintly remember seeing a place selling Taiwan "Wan3 Guo3" (wah kuay) and maybe Rou4 Yuan2 (bah yee) somewhere.

Thailand:
little thailand at Golden Mile complex is a nice place for inexpensive thai food.  range includes the Isaan "laap" (meat salad) with sticky rice.  taste authentic.  haven't found a good and inexpensive place for curries yet - the usual green, or yellow, or red, or matsaman curry i miss this one.  should matsaman curry be better classified as Indian curry?  i din see the same thing in India ...

chiang mai cuisine seems to be more confined to more classy restaurants.  any1 found a cheap version?  miss the "nam prik" chilli dips with sticky rice.

Russian:
a russian cafe/restaurant across the road of Golden Sultan shopping centre, along Arab Street itself.  prices S$13-18 per dish.  they serve kvas there as well (fizzy bread-based ?mildly alcoholic? drink).   nice selection.

Tibetan:
please someone recommend something!  i miss the food ... hopefully got some nice variety of momos too.  i heard Geylang has quite a few Mahayana temples but donno about the food.  would love to slurp a bowl of thukpa again.  well i dun expect authentic yak meat here but a good substitute would do!

viet:
i guess there're enough of them around, but perhaps the more inexpensive and still reasonably authentic places are:  like the one i mentioned above in the "taiwan" section, as well as one or two along killiney road (average price S$6-7) a dish.  most of these have an ok selection of north/central/south styles.

but one dish i have no come across yet, maybe i din look hard enough, is ban cuon.  that chee cheong fun thing.  and i bet ban koay (that stupid 3-shophouse one-hit-wonder in Hue?) doesn't exist outside Hue, heh heh.

but has any1 noticed if any of these viet outlets have a good selection of small eats other than the usual pho / com?  especially the "ban", so many varieties really.

wish our singapore coffee shops would serve the drip coffee, i'd buy it even if it's S$2.  restaurant price is so cut-throat.

philippines:
the usual lucky plaza upstairs food outlets - chai'png style mostly, and authentic.  i was told u can't find any lechon (roast piggy) unless in some big proper restaurant cos the market is just too small here to sell.

Bengali:
i bet there're a few but i've only tried one.  Race Course Road at this position: http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?ismap=1&starmode=1&buildingid=20876&masterid=1&x=29861.941298148&y=32182.796100463&star=1&level=6?291,190
standard indian restaurant upmarket prices.  reasonable selection of Bengali-style.  the usual fish curries, chingri (prawn) curries, lufti (puff "pratas").  they are also 50-50 "northern indian" style so there goes half the effort serving non-bengali stuff.

north indian:
someone please recommend good and hopefully not too expensive Mughlai restaurant?  i wonder if some of these lovely mughlai dishes can be found in the cheap eats at Little India.  like the sinful Mutton/Chicken rezala <--- anyone seen this around???!!

i came across some "pakistani" shophouses around little india.  haven't been to paki so donno what to expect.  just thought i'd let u know.  the one i saw is just 1 block south of mustafa old building.

Offline hyun

• Traveller
Re: Foreign restaurants in Singapore
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 07, 01:56 PM »
China:

Yunnan across the bridge noodles, anyone?  i guess the many "yunnanese" restaurants in singapore may serve it but i haven't tried.  the only one i know, which i fear may be gone case, is http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?ismap=1&starmode=1&buildingid=17368&masterid=1&x=30072.477940741&y=31100.512236574&star=1&level=6?284,155
i saw the signboard looked different.  they might have been taken over.  used to be S$10 for a "basic bowl" and S$30 for the super deluxe.

Heng Hwa:
http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?ismap=1&starmode=1&buildingid=17175&masterid=1&x=31048.24845&y=31460.907077315&star=1&level=6?357,185
this one is tasty but i heard it's not entirely authentic.

the more authentic ones, perhaps:
http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?ismap=1&starmode=1&buildingid=5914&masterid=20054&x=30440.759356481&y=32734.950603241&star=1&level=6?223,169
this coffee shop.  $3 for the standard wet or drier henghwa noodles.

Middle Eastern:
http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?ismap=1&starmode=1&buildingid=17065&masterid=1&x=30989.415945371&y=31551.243341666&star=1&level=6?219,278
this one has a selection from various ME countries.  also a small rooftop dining/smoking area.

Korean:
Manna chain's foodcourt stalls (e.g. Takashimaya basement 1 foodcourt) offer good stuff/variety for slightly upmarket foodcourt prices.

Japanese:
http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?ismap=1&starmode=1&buildingid=2050&masterid=21954&x=28769.5904&y=31615.1079&star=1&level=6?239,274
this one on the ground floor at the entrance, facing cuppage terrace, run by a few ahbeng chefs, so far they've the best japanese cha shyu i've come across.  well i haven't explored every high end jap restaurant but this cha shyu goes for like S$5 for 3-4 slices, or $12 in chashyu ramen (abt 4 slices).  the gyoza ($4 for 6) is nice as a light supper item too!  opens late (at least 1 a.m.) daily.

almost exactly at that same red star, but on 4th floor, is Kazu, a sumi-yaki restaurant.  "reasonably" (japanese-)priced sumi-yaki, tasty.  like $5-6 for a stick of wagyu beef.  they've got foie gras, a stick for $6-7.  sets available, about S$25 (chicken) or S$30 (pork).  advise reservation.  usual favourites like gyu tongue available.  big variety.

what happened to that Shaw Centre (lido building) jap restaurant serving whale sashimi?  miss the deliciously fatty deep-red chunks.  but i bet by the time i read about them in the newspapers, they'd be closed down by some authority or other already.  or are they somehow legal?

Offline Matt

• Administrator
  • Traveller
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 07, 11:50 AM »
I tried Banoo, an Iranian restaurant at the now quiet stretch of Mohamed Sultan last november.  http://www.banoo.com.sg/  .

Nice ambience. Food is pretty good. Tried one of the lamb dishes if I remembered correctly.  The owner, an Iranian lady has been in Singapore for over a decade. The cooks,  I believe, are from Iran too.   

Offline travelbug

• Administrator
  • Traveller
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 07, 12:56 PM »
think we can try a couple of these for our subsequent gatherings...

Offline chalkmarker

• Traveller
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 07, 02:53 PM »
I think there is a nepalese/tibet type restaurant near racecourse road. I cannot remember exactly where (behind the row of indian restaurants) ... hope it is still there.

Offline hyun

• Traveller
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 07, 09:32 AM »
think we can try a couple of these for our subsequent gatherings...
for the yeow kui's here, we dun have to wait until the monthly gathering to try these.  we can just arrange a little something and come out to gorge every now and then lor :)  who wanna try iranian fare?

Offline slowly

• Traveller
  • walk walk look see take picture
    • My trip gallery...
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 07, 12:08 PM »
erm... perhaps... you can just set the date time place...
those interested will just raise their hand and appear.

:)

Offline hyun

• Traveller
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 07, 07:24 AM »
used to have a restaurant with the name "Himalayan" in little india, but looks like has since closed down.  it served a variety of north indian stuff including some nepali stuff.

that day walking around mustafa, noticed a restaurant at/or near a hotel, many indian people eating, has "nepali" as well.  saw some momo's on the menu etc.  price not very upmarket.

it's here:
http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?ismap=1&starmode=1&buildingid=21563&masterid=1&x=30583.3245&y=32348.8501&star=1&level=6?160,246

it's very near to the a-spinals hotel, for tourists without a spine or with no bone-gas.

i'm sure got many others with "nepali" and momos, but i don't really know where.

this other one i've tried before, not bad:
it's main star is Hyderabad briyani.  but got other stuff as well.  it's here:

http://www.streetdirectory.com/asia_travel/travel/travel.php?ismap=1&starmode=1&buildingid=21250&masterid=1&x=29976.801166667&y=32160.130024537&star=1&level=6?195,255

not very cheap.  briyani meal for about $10.

Offline kalona

• Traveller
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 07, 05:51 AM »
there's a tibetan restaurant along east coast road junction of telok kurau road.  been meaning to but have not tried so can't testify.

Offline hyun

• Traveller
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 07, 01:50 PM »
just had dinner at Takashimaya basement 2.  at the eastern end of the basement, where the japanese restaurant and a few by-the-counter eateries are located, there's this outlet selling swiss/german sausages.  pretty affordable snack, about $8.50-9.50 for most sausages, comes with a bit of sauerkraut & potatos (mashed or rosti or spaghetti i think).

nearby is a taiwanese food outlet, but not cheap.  kong ba p'ng and o'a mee suah are about $4.50 each ... i guess we can't compare with kong ba p'ng price in taiwan which is about S$1.50-$2.00 but we can at least compare it with the o'a mee suah price of ShiLin Snacks, geylang's Yong He which all go for $2.50-3.

Offline hyun

• Traveller
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 07, 04:10 PM »
just revisited Anatolia turkish restaurant at Far East Plaza ground floor very near the left entrance.  looks like they've renovated somewhat and have a more fast-food presentation.  prices are reasonably upmarket fastfood.

had a combo of $3 turkish "pizza", $2 yoghurt drink, $3 rice pudding.  pretty nice for an $8 3-course dinner :)  will be back to try other stuff.

Offline staad3

• Traveller
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 07, 02:14 PM »
any nice nepalese restaurant in spore? i like their dal bhat and their pizzas.

Offline hyun

• Traveller
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 07, 03:36 PM »
The nepali restaurants I've seen are mostly a mixture of nepali and north indian affairs.  maybe they can't populate their menu with just nepali stuff alone, i donno.

Well there's one near Mustafa.  It's on the south side facing the "new mustafa building", right at the Aspinals hotel, for travelers without spines.  Looks like a nice variety on the menu.  haven't tried yet.  We could make this our next makan destination :)