Author Topic: Food you miss very much from another country  (Read 6454 times)

Offline aycanela

• Traveller
    • The Muddy-Pants Diaries
Food you miss very much from another country
« on: Aug 31, 09, 10:28 AM »
"It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end." -- Ursula K. LeGuin

http://www.aycanela.blogspot.com

http://blogs.bootsnall.com/trisha/

Offline laucnj

• Traveller
  • Sleepy....
    • Justin Go Where ?
Re: Food you miss very much from another country
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 09, 11:18 AM »
I read this post and suddenly, an image of a horse appeared in my head. I'm not really an adventurous diner but the horsemeat burger in Ljubljana & the basashi (horsemeat sashimi) in Kyushu reigned tops for me.

Offline nuts

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • Roving Light Travel Photography
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 09, 03:43 PM »
1. Japanese short-grain rice. Don't laugh. I stayed in a traditional Ryokan in Hokkaido once, and they served me these wonderful white fluffy fragrant gems thats so good I could just eat the rice alone. But of course I ate the other 15 dishes. Call me a fan4 tong3 but the rice left deeper impression somehow :P. I went into a rice grain store on another occasion, and there was like 12 different varieties of short-grain rice on display, with varying prices. They all looked.... short..., and round, but I'm sure whatever the differences, its in the taste, though I'll bet most of them would taste fabulous....

2. Romanian potatoes. Hmm.... I thought they're special, until one fateful night I discovered fellow travellers who've eaten them didn't think so.... couldn't have been the palinka right?.....

3. Fried Oyster cake/pancake from Fuqing in Fujian province. There's a store in Maxwell market that makes it quite close, but still lose... It's the raw materials lah, in this case oysters. And I don't like oysters.

Offline aycanela

• Traveller
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 09, 01:38 AM »
I read this post and suddenly, an image of a horse appeared in my head.

Aiyo... laucnj, when I read YOUR post, or rather... MISread your post, an image of a horse HEAD appeared in my head. 

And I remembered happening upon a huge pail of HORSE HEADS (stripped bare of the skin)... all pink and glassy eyes and toothy grins in a market in Huaraz, Peru.  Gosh... it was...  TRAUMATIZING!!!!!!!!! to say the least.

Now, I'm stuck with that pail in my head.   :o

Romanian potatoes. Hmm.... I thought they're special, until one fateful night I discovered fellow travellers who've eaten them didn't think so.... couldn't have been the palinka right?.....

nuts: Trust your taste buds.  I truly believe you that you felt there is something special in the potatoes in Romania.  Your fellow travellers are just not as sensitive as you.  I also remember eating tomatoes in South America and thinking, WOW, this is super delicious, so 'bulky' and juicy, not like those 'flat' dull ones I usually eat here.
"It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end." -- Ursula K. LeGuin

Offline kelly

• Traveller
    • Travel Photos
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 09, 01:22 PM »
Fesenjun from Iran. It was love at first taste and I suffered from withdrawal syndrome when I couldn't find it during the second half of the trip.  Khoresht-e-fesenjun is a meat stew, usually chicken, in a rich pomegranate and walnut sauce that often served with white rice.  Iranians usually prepare it for special occasion.

Offline kolya

• Traveller
    • Flickr Photo Site
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 09, 12:17 PM »
1. ponche segoviano, in segovia, spain... it's a dessert of a sponge cake wrapped in marzipan drenched in some liquor.

2. roast lamb in west africa. makes for really cheap and quick meals usually sold by the roadside... delicious seasoned ribs with lots of onions.

3. mango smoothies in kabul, afghanistan. some of the juiciest sweetest mangoes blended with dates, honey, cream, pistachios, almonds and cardamom... had that almost every other day for 5+ weeks!

4. pastilla in morocco. pigeon/chicken baked in a pie crust flavored with cinnamons and dried fruits. sprinkled with icing sugar.

5. horchata in central america and spain. milky drink made from rice, cinnamon and other native seeds/nuts in central america. tiger nuts are used in spain instead.

6. ethiopian coffee, ethiopia. where else but the birthplace of coffee. earthy, thick, potent... bliss.

7. churchkhela in georgia (rep. of). walnuts sewn onto a string, dipped in thickened white grape juice and dried like a sausage.

8. guayabana (soursop) helado (ice cream)/milkshake in colombia. no matter how i try to replicate it, it never tastes the same... =\

9. ahi poke, hawaii. cubed tuna sashimi seasoned with shoyu, sesame oil, onions, red pepper, crushed kukui nuts, and limu (seaweed.)

10. coco puffs from liliha bakery, honolulu, hawaii. heavenly chocolate cream puffs topped with buttery chantilly frosting. omfg.
Half the fun of travel is the esthetic of lostness...

Offline kolya

• Traveller
    • Flickr Photo Site
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 09, 12:17 PM »
and

11. moroccan salad.

Offline kolya

• Traveller
    • Flickr Photo Site
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 09, 12:28 PM »

Offline nuts

• Administrator
  • Traveller
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 09, 02:00 PM »
Heh, thanks, whichever the case, for me, its something i miss lor! :)

nuts: Trust your taste buds.  I truly believe you that you felt there is something special in the potatoes in Romania.  Your fellow travellers are just not as sensitive as you.  I also remember eating tomatoes in South America and thinking, WOW, this is super delicious, so 'bulky' and juicy, not like those 'flat' dull ones I usually eat here.

Offline nuts

• Administrator
  • Traveller
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 09, 02:01 PM »
oh yeah, its good!!

and

11. moroccan salad.

Offline aycanela

• Traveller
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 09, 01:45 AM »
thanks aycanela for exacerbating my perpetual hunger pangs! =)
6. ethiopian coffee, ethiopia. where else but the birthplace of coffee. earthy, thick, potent... bliss.

Everyone listen... the above is very true.  I NEVER EVER DRINK COFFEE, yet every day in Ethiopia, I drink at least 2 cups of macchiato and just D-I-E there...  Can Tristan bring some coffee beans back?  Then, we need to figure out how to make the damn coffee the Ethiopian way. 

And we NEED that coco puffs, man...

Offline aycanela

• Traveller
« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 09, 02:55 AM »
Got reminded of more...

4) 'coctel de camarones', Mexico (and possibly in many other countries) - Prawn cocktail.  A glass (think ice-cream sundae) full of prawns and other slimey seafood like clams and stuff, with chopped onions, squeezed lime juice and thick tomato sauce.  Not difficult to do, why can't get here??

5) 'choripan', Argentina / Chile - OK, this is sausage in a bun.  But this is no mere hot-dog!  The way the gauchos barbecue the amazing sausage plus add the 'chimichuri' (superb garlicky spicy sauce) make this a great Sunday snack!  So memorable, I still salivate at the thought of it.

6) 'empanada boliviana', Bolivia - This is like a puff with fillings.  But the ones in Bolivia takes the cake, man.  Believe me, when you are 'not so rich' in South America, you literally become Empanada Girl / Guy (at least for breakfasts) because this is the cheapest most convenient food around.  So, I k-n-o-w my empanadas.

You need to eat it held up like a cup, otherwise, all the delicious fillings will drip all over the place.  Best to stand at the street-stall and drip the spices (added separately) into the open-hole at the top before each mouthful.  We definitely NEED to bring this here and fight with Old Chang Kee.

Offline castaway

• Traveller
« Reply #12 on: Sep 03, 09, 04:00 AM »
I always miss Pizza in Italy  :D fried cassava, beef buffet in Brazil  >:D, fried and fresh spring rolls, xoi xeo in Vietnam  :P, chilly crab in Singapore  :hello2:

Offline limkopi

• Traveller
    • caffeine-intoxicated snaps!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 07, 09, 04:59 AM »
Not a foodie... so the stuff I miss tend to be more simple fare I guess...

1) Tibetan Bread (aka "Gurung Bread") / Nepal - those who've went trekking before probably know this... it's a sweet round panfried dough like hum-chin-peng (the size of a round-shaped korsong prata) but dun hv any fillings... my favourite food during my grueling 19 day trek round Annapurna Circuit & Nar-Phu Valley... think I only see that in the menu in the higher altitudes or near trekking places, dun see that in Thamel (Kathmandu) though...

2) Plain Curd / Nepal - cold towhuay (made of milk not soya bean) in Yakult-like syrup... the wonder medicine that cured my massive 3-day diarhoea overnite. popular dessert for the locals & it's very cheap, I had that for breakfast lunch & dinner to keep my system healthy... =P Though it's also available in India but I feel that the ones in scenic Pokhara taste nicer...

3) Banana Pancake / Laos - fr this roadside stall in Vang Vieng, the touristy backpacker / adventure town between the capital city Vientiane & UNESCO town Luang Prabang... it's somewhat similar to our banana prata here but not quite the same. Only had it once there (cos only stayed there briefly for 1 nite) & cldn't find similar ones in other parts of Laos leow...

4) Pork & Blimy / Russia - their pork taste like chicken! very tender, juicy & tasty, quite different fr the "porky" taste we have in Asia (dunno why)! no joke abt it... took me & colleagues awhile to figure out wat we're chewing is chicken or pork... Blimy is soft sweet pancake wrapped with assorted fillings, cheap & stomach-filling & keeps u warm when u're on the go...

Offline boochap

• Traveller
    • http://www.geocities.com/boochap
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 09, 05:25 PM »
nothing beats singapore food.