Author Topic: Hiking boots / Walking Shoes  (Read 27320 times)

Offline limkopi

• Traveller
    • caffeine-intoxicated snaps!
Re: Hiking boots / Walking Shoes
« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 09, 07:29 PM »
Er... I dunno much abt "breaking shoes" siah... My trekking boots r so soft tt they dun even need any breaking... I din hv problems walking in them comfortably when I went trekking (me & my shoes, both 1st-timer, haha!)...

Offline Brayantobbe

« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 10, 03:50 PM »
For hiking gears maybe I'm gonna suggest you about the boots I'm using right now. It is the Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Waterproof Hiking Boot. This kind of shoes only costs $61.39 to $73.49 at altrec.com.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 10, 09:17 AM by Brayantobbe »

Offline hyun

• Traveller
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 10, 06:32 AM »
For hiking gears maybe I'm gonna suggest you about the boots I'm using right now. It is the Hi-Tec Men's Altitude IV Waterproof Hiking Boot. This kind of shoes only costs $61.39 to $73.49 at altrec.com.

any hi-tec shoe retailer in singapore so that we can take a look at them?

my montrail vibram sole doesn't have good grip either - slippery on wet/moss. looking for replacement.

Offline wei

• Traveller
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 10, 09:15 PM »
you can get hi-tec shoes at world of sports actually. The one at cineleisure has a good range. I got mine there during promo period, cost me only $100 ++. Very good and waterproof. went round the world wif me. wore it every single day for more than a year. lasted abt 15 mths, then got a slit somewhere at the side, and water started going in. otherwise, was in pretty good condition. sole was lasting.

you can get them at the shops in army market at beach road too. but the range there lesser.

Offline hyun

• Traveller
« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 10, 12:42 AM »
you can get hi-tec shoes at world of sports actually. The one at cineleisure has a good range. I got mine there during promo period, cost me only $100 ++. Very good and waterproof. went round the world wif me. wore it every single day for more than a year. lasted abt 15 mths, then got a slit somewhere at the side, and water started going in. otherwise, was in pretty good condition. sole was lasting.

thanks for the reply. this hi-tec really kenna sabo by some internet feedback - some websites had multiple people feeding back about water leakage even in the new shoes, entering from various places.  quite a different experience from yours.  some say it came in from the top (tongue), some say through the membrane (sides) etc.

world of sports is phasing out the "ionmask" range of membrane for hi-tec brand, cos that seems to be the one with the bad feedback.

from my limited shoe experience, sole cracking doesn't seem to be much of an issue nowadays since almost all shoes tout vibram soles. more important seems to be how well it grips slippery ground, and how it keeps out water / rain / streams.

new shoes keep out water well but shoes of different models / age change - cracks appear here and there etc allowing seepage.
and you can't test slippery ground until you buy it and use it, or hear some feedback.

perhaps another relevant question is where are the shops to browse in singapore?
world of sports
camper's corner (new location at waterloo street)
x-boundaries (novena)
adventure sports (geylang)
any more?

Offline ropsie

• Traveller
    • Girl on the Go
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 12, 05:57 AM »
out of curiousity.....would u wear proper hiking socks with ur shoes...or just any old normal sock?

Offline wei

• Traveller
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 12, 11:57 AM »
i wear long socks from umbro. 3 for $10 (or $11). long sock because my hiking boots are high cut, and the long socks will cut out any rubbing of the skin from the boots. umbro because this is one brand where the elastic does not go haywire after one wash and the socks do stay up. I usually got for high cut boots cos they give good protection to the ankles and can act as protection against snakes if i go walking in some forests. i know quite a lot of pp will find the high cut obstructive or uncomfortable, but to each his own. wear what you feel is most comfortable.

Offline calvin2224

• Traveller
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 12, 01:40 PM »
I have this thing to say about Hi-Tec boots as well. They don't store well due to our climate, perhaps. The soles tended to fall off or come apart. I had 2 pairs and both gave this problem.

Offline Karel

• Traveller
  • formerly known as Lion
    • karel
« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 12, 02:34 PM »
As mentioned in my post of 4 April 2009 in this same topic (!), whatever brand you buy, you'll have the same problem. Shoes that you don't wear regularly fall apart in this hot and humid climate. The usual solution is to store them at your office, because that's a place with airco most of the time.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 12, 02:38 PM by Karel »