Author Topic: Hiking boots / Walking Shoes  (Read 28110 times)

Offline mintae

• Traveller
Hiking boots / Walking Shoes
« on: Mar 31, 09, 10:46 AM »
we should get a topic going on this one. share your knowledge and experiences about the various brands!

i need a good pair of walking shoes/boots, but im on the tightest budget in the world. any recommendations?  thanks!

Offline belgarathc

• Traveller
    • Trip Reports
Re: Hiking boots / Walking Shoes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 09, 02:27 PM »
For budget hiking shoes, how about Hi-tec or SAF boots?

Offline calvin2224

• Traveller
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 09, 03:01 PM »
Last Sunday, I got myself the Hi-Tec V-Lite Incline WP for $69, heavily discounted, from Outdoors. Not Goretex, but it claims to be waterproof and breathable.
SAF boots are probably too stiff and heavy, even the Goretex ones. Yet mine had its soles fall off after just being used for 2 ICTs. It did not happen to myself only.
Apparently the older versions are more durable.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 09, 03:11 PM by calvin2224 »

Offline spearhawk

• Administrator
  • Traveller
  • dream to be a world wanderer
    • Flickr Acount
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 09, 03:12 PM »
The SAF Goretex boots was good for me for my Annapurna circuit and base camp. thou it was abit slippery while walking on snow with it haha.

Offline nuts

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • Roving Light Travel Photography
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 09, 12:53 PM »
I find Vibram soles quite slip prone, but alot of major brands use them...
mabbe its just me, but just a note/feedback :)

Offline mintae

• Traveller
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 09, 01:01 PM »
lazy question but where can i find these brands? i assume the SAF goretex one from army market?

im not keen on shoes to heavy. there's probably lady boots out there are there?

Offline zingzingla

• Traveller
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 09, 01:55 AM »
Posted by: nuts
Insert Quote
mabbe its just me, but just a note/feedback

I think even for soles like Vibram or whatever brands are made specifically for different trails n conditions. Some  manufacturers specify uses like 'off trail', scrambling,abit of rock climbing,etc. Trail /trekking shoes are not known to be grippy on city pavements like marble,cement coz they are not made for jalan jalan in such urban environment.

Offline Karel

• Traveller
  • formerly known as Lion
    • karel
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 09, 01:40 PM »
i agree with zingzingla about the vibram issue. it all depends on what your walking on and what your shoes are build for.
and the weight that mintae is talking about is the same thing. the weight of a shoe depends on what they're build for as well, and not so much whether it's build for men or women.
getting the right shoes is a very technical question. therefore i find it more important to find a good shop where the sales people know what they are talking about, than finding the supposedly right brand. and having just moved back to belgium, i just found out that the outdoor shop where i used to buy most of my stuff (because they're so knowledgeable), has closed :(

about shoes falling apart (cfr calvin2224), ask justin (laucnj), he had that problem too. i was explained that heat and humidity do that. it's actually best to store your expensive hiking shoes that you don't wear daily in an air conditioned space (like the office where your work !)
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 09, 01:42 PM by lion »

Offline nuts

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • Roving Light Travel Photography
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 09, 02:14 PM »
Actually, haven't had slip problems in urban environment, except during winter icy pavements, which is understandable.
But the problems I had was during trekking, be it SEA forest trails or himalaya mountain tracks... mabbe I walk sloppy :(

Posted by: nuts
Insert Quote
mabbe its just me, but just a note/feedback

I think even for soles like Vibram or whatever brands are made specifically for different trails n conditions. Some  manufacturers specify uses like 'off trail', scrambling,abit of rock climbing,etc. Trail /trekking shoes are not known to be grippy on city pavements like marble,cement coz they are not made for jalan jalan in such urban environment.

Offline mintae

• Traveller
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 09, 05:03 PM »
recommendation on good locations to buy them from? :)

Offline limkopi

• Traveller
    • caffeine-intoxicated snaps!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 09, 04:15 PM »
I met someone who went trekking at Annapurna Base Camp with his NS army boots & the soles actually came off... He gotta tie it up with tapes & stuff...  :P

My Asolo trekking boots was the soft & lightweight sort but strong enuff to give ample support for my ankles... & its Goretex material really keeps my feet dry in melting snow... But then like the rest, I have difficulty walking on the slippery snow surfaces... Hahaha... fall & fall on Thorung La until I wish I cld juz lie down & roll myself down (think tt might be faster than me struggling in the snow)...  ::)

I got my shoes fr Adventure Post @ 40% off during their moving out sales last yr...  They have since moved to Sims Drive (near Aljunied MRT)...

Offline waurelia

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 09, 04:53 PM »
I got a HI-TEC trekking shoes and used it for my Annapurna Base Camp trek.  It has been with me for number of years.
It is durable and comfortable.  It will wear for my Mt KK trek this Apr  :D.

Offline zingzingla

• Traveller
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 09, 12:45 AM »
U guys can pick up some bargains at the Camper's Corner branch located inside the Visitor's Centre ,Bukit Timah Nature Reserve.Most of the shoes ( Treksta,Chacos,Montrail) could be had for btwn $S 90-120 .
Looking for a perfect pair of trekking shoes isn't easy coz it's usually only when u really hit the trails then u know if it's suitable or the fits good.Different people have different kind of feet ( pronation,thickness,wet,etc).Mine's above average sweatiness n fussy when it comes to fit while alot of my mates can wear anything n still fits them ??? ???Always buy a size bigger because of any steep descents which may prevent yr toes from gettin crushed!!! Very painfull :'(!U can also have better flexibility with the lacing.
I can vouch for the Montrail Blue Ridge trekking boots-did the EBC n Mustang trek simultaneously in one trip n it realy held up superbly esp on those loose scree slopes in Upper Mustang.The good ankle support was vital! Ok better not dwell on Nepal liao-making me drool........
Other brands i had tried and highly recommend are Vasque ,La Sportiva,Treksta n Salomon.The last pair ,the Montrail Blue Ridge was from camper's Corner during a sale many moons ago so i don't have any updated places where u can get quality advice n buy from but last year i tried the new boots from Garmont at X- boundaries n thought they were super comfy! If my current pair prematurely 'retires' ,i will definitely buy the Garmonts tho' they are not cheap but then again shoes in my opinion are the most vital equiment when trekking.
Cheers

Offline 6GHz

« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 09, 11:09 AM »
For budget hiking shoes, how about Hi-tec or SAF boots?
SAF boots give you good grip on rough or dry terrains.  They are literally dangerous the moment you step on wet and greasy tarmacs.

lazy question but where can i find these brands? i assume the SAF goretex one from army market?
im not keen on shoes to heavy. there's probably lady boots out there are there?
Actually the goretex is not as heavy as the old models.  And no, there're no lady boots for SAF, just smaller sized.

Offline mintae

• Traveller
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 09, 04:51 AM »
I can vouch for the Montrail Blue Ridge trekking boots-did the EBC n Mustang trek simultaneously in one trip n it realy held up superbly esp on those loose scree slopes in Upper Mustang.The good ankle support was vital! Ok better not dwell on Nepal liao-making me drool........
Other brands i had tried and highly recommend are Vasque ,La Sportiva,Treksta n Salomon.The last pair ,the Montrail Blue Ridge was from camper's Corner during a sale many moons ago so i don't have any updated places where u can get quality advice n buy from but last year i tried the new boots from Garmont at X- boundaries n thought they were super comfy! If my current pair prematurely 'retires' ,i will definitely buy the Garmonts tho' they are not cheap but then again shoes in my opinion are the most vital equiment when trekking.

and they say only girls like shoes. :) (ok, boots are more equipments than shoes)

i have one slightly flatter feet than the other. quite a pain sometimes. now to figure out all the above information. but like mentioned, better to try it out yourself in a knowledgeable shop.

nobody mentioned on how to break in the boots. just walk walk walk?
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 09, 05:03 AM by mintae »