Author Topic: A Journey on the Silk Road...  (Read 10920 times)

Offline boochap

• Traveller
    • http://www.geocities.com/boochap
A Journey on the Silk Road...
« on: Sep 19, 08, 12:04 PM »
This is the end of my kkh trip, I am now in Kashgar.

50days from mumbai to northern india, flew to Jammu and crossed over to lahore, then took the karakoram highway through northern Pakistan into Kashgar, w.china. Wonderful road journey.
Had a couples of food poisoning, stomach upset, fever.. yet, fever at 3700m altitude.. no big deal, the mutton curry was nice though, and the most ultimate "mineral water" straight from underground.  ;D

Now that i am so sick of chapati .. luckily kashgar offered some great chinese food.

Loaded some photos in my flickr, not a complete set though...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boochap/collections/72157607227622923/

Mumbai

Jodhpur... very very hot hot summer. *sweat*.. couldnt stand the heat, took a sleeper train to Shimla 1000km north the next day.

Himachal Predesh.. on the hindustan tibet highway, Nako lake. There are 6 motor "highway" to reach Lahsa, this is the only 1 outside china, built by the British 100+yrs ago, for an obvious reason - to include tibet into the british empire.

Ki Monastry, Spiti Valley. Just behind that mountain is Tibet Ali region, but there is no border crossing between india and china. the nearest crossing is through pakistan kkh or nepal..

Chander Tal Lake, Spiti Valley.. stumble upon this magical lake on my way to Keylong/Leh... at 4200m, stayed overnight in tent. freezing cold.

« Last Edit: Oct 01, 08, 09:21 AM by boochap »

Offline OnAbudget23

• Traveller
Re: Ladakh..northern pakistan.. KKH
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 08, 12:12 PM »
nice pictures you got there!  :hello2:

Offline boochap

• Traveller
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 08, 12:22 PM »

I think this is sachu, where most travelller camp on the way from Manali to Leh. i didnt camp here, becuz i started my journey at 5am from keylong, reached Leh on the same day. ;p

Thisey Monastry... looked like potala in lahsa.

Lamayuru, from my guesthouse rooftop.. had some good "rest" here.. food poisoning!!

Inside Spituk Monastry, Leh.

Jammu.. rioting!! my taxi was the only vehicle on the highway between Jammu and Panthokot... 3hr journey, my driver was so scared that he almost refused to move on. another 2hr from Panthokot to Amritsar, back to the world of "INDIA" ;D

At the border. Wagha.

Amritsar Golden Temple... u see, i carry a tripod.. so useful.  ;D

couldnt recall the name, but this the big mosque next to Lahore Fort. Built by Mugal emperor before they moved to Dehli.

Lahore street scene.

No bluff. i'vebeen to KKH... this is the proof... taken at the start of the KKH Thakot bridge... ;D

Chilas.. around this areas, and to the south, is the indus Kohistan region, where u see no woman on the streets. one of the most conservative areas alone the kkh... of cuz to a male traveller, this place is damn boring.  ;D

Therefore, i cuold only photo the old man.

Naga Prabat at FAiry Meadow... 8000+m.

Milky way rising above naga prabat..

to be continue......
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 11, 01:40 AM by Karel »

Offline nuts

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • Roving Light Travel Photography
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 08, 02:04 PM »
Wah Lao Eh

Offline zingzingla

• Traveller
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 08, 12:25 AM »
FABULOUS!

Offline spearhawk

• Administrator
  • Traveller
  • dream to be a world wanderer
    • Flickr Acount
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 08, 01:00 AM »
the big mosque next to Lahore Fort is Badshahi Mosque ;)

Offline kolya

• Traveller
    • Flickr Photo Site
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 08, 06:04 AM »
awesome milky way shot!
and really enjoyed Lahore!
Half the fun of travel is the esthetic of lostness...

Offline boochap

• Traveller
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 08, 01:39 PM »
the big mosque next to Lahore Fort is Badshahi Mosque ;)

yaya.. u got it.. wrote from memory, didnt have my LP with me. I was in awe when i saw that mosque. only if it could be built of white marbles, it could rival taj mahal.

Offline boochap

• Traveller
A Road Journey on the Silk Road...
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 08, 08:22 AM »
on the KKH to western china.. continue.

Hunza Valley, at Karimanbad. The 800yrs old Baltic fort with Ultar peak (7000++m) in the background. This was one of my favourite place, the people were great, hospitable and friendly...

Hunza Valley, at Karimanbad. They were helping their parents to havest potatoes.

Dramatic sight from my guesthouse at Haider Inn, thanks to the hazy weather. Karimanbad.

Upper Hunza, Passu.. they called this cathedral mountain, because of those spiky peaks. 6000+m high.

Hanging bridge across hunza river at Passu.

Passu glacier. 3hrs trek from the main road.

Passu village... very very sweet apple.

At passu village... u guess what happened to this eye?

Between Sorst and Khunjerab pass.. Khunjerab pass is the border crossing, 4900m high.

Border crossing at chinese side. most of the truck travel from china to pakistan, and return empty. the chinese is more than happy to finance the building and expansion of KKH. traveling time on the road will be more than double in 3yrs time, allowing chinese good export all the way to islamabad and karachi. better plan your KKH trip before mass trourism arrives.

Moonrise over Karakul lake... long exposure. very cold these days. temperature droped below freezing point.

Kashgar... i was here before, in 2000 early summer. I never like this place. The Urgur folks didnt seem to like the Han chinese, apart from their money. It was really difficult to do any candid street photo in the old town. The contrast was so great, esp after 3wks of Pakistani hospitality. I was here to rest, laundry, emails, and left the 3rd day, didnt even bother to wait for the sunday market the next day. Couldnt blame them... blame the communist. Security was tight.

Kuche. There was a bomb blast in this town during the olympic. Somebody drove a car loaded with bombs and smashed into a police station, killing 7 people. No further report was heard after that, life as usual. Thanks ot XF for the quick sms. Suprisingly, the local was rather more friendly to my cameras... some of them would pose and simile.

On the way to Urumqi from Kuche, by the fringe of Takalamakan desert.
Xinjiang is huge... on it's own, it would be the 9 ot 10th biggest country in the world, close to the size of Kazakhstan.. mostly desert and mountain. From Khunjerab pass to Urumqi, its another 1800km. After that another 800km for me to get to Kanas at the Russian border.

Kanas.. Hemu.. at the northern end of xinjiang, close to russian border. Beautiful but very expensive place to visit.

Was with a group of chinese friends, we met on a 3-day trek. They were more crazy people then me...

I have came to xinjiang in yr 2000, did the silk road from Beijing to Xi'an to Kashgar. http://www.geocities.com/boochap/China-SR.html
China is an expensive place to travel... ticket ticket ticket everywhere... *sickening*  

Kanas is really a beautiful place, otherwise I couldnt have travelled across Torugart pass from Kashgar into Kygrystan 2 week ago. From Kanas, I came to Yili, another 1200km, preparing myself for central asia. I am suppose to meet 2 beautiful ladies from sg in uzbek next month.. bring some provia slides for my xpan, ok?....;)
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 11, 01:13 AM by Karel »

Offline nuts

• Administrator
  • Traveller
    • Roving Light Travel Photography
Re: A Road Journey on the Silk Road...
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 08, 01:39 PM »
More Kanas...

Look at the lighting!!! *droool*

I was in Kashgar in 2004, and while Uighurs did not like the Han Chinese, I still enjoyed Kashgar pretty much and had a great time shooting the old town (I spent 5 days in Kashgar). It helps when they know you're not from China :)
Still, no matter what, when you come into China from Pakistan, the contrasts is obvious ;)

So where are you now?
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 11, 03:55 AM by Karel »

Offline travelsnapper

• Traveller
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 08, 03:17 PM »
Swee   ;)

how is the temperature like in kashger like  during tis period?

Offline spearhawk

• Administrator
  • Traveller
  • dream to be a world wanderer
    • Flickr Acount
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 08, 05:48 AM »

Passu glacier. 3hrs trek from the main road.

absolutely love this! hehe  ;)

as for communicating with the Uyghurs, I always try to speak to them in English first, and then Chinese, so they will know that I am not from China. This trick helps all the time.  8)

Offline boochap

• Traveller
Re: A Journey on the Silk Road...
« Reply #12 on: Oct 01, 08, 08:44 AM »
Look at the lighting!!! *droool*

I was in Kashgar in 2004, and while Uighurs did not like the Han Chinese, I still enjoyed Kashgar pretty much and had a great time shooting the old town (I spent 5 days in Kashgar). It helps when they know you're not from China :)
Still, no matter what, when you come into China from Pakistan, the contrasts is obvious ;)

So where are you now?

In pakistan, u were invited for tea biscuits and apples. In china.. hahahhaa.

i'm in Yili. 80km from the border with kazakhstan. tomorrow i will go to Almaty.

Swee   ;)

how is the temperature like in kashger like  during tis period?

day time hot, night cool. but not at the extremes.

as for communicating with the Uyghurs, I always try to speak to them in English first, and then Chinese, so they will know that I am not from China. This trick helps all the time.  8)

i know what u mean... they would even start talking to u abt politics when they know u are foreigner.
anyway, there are so nice places to visit... kashgar is no big deal. just another town full of chinese business.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 11, 01:46 AM by Karel »

Offline paapoopa

• Traveller
Re: A Journey on the Silk Road...
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 08, 03:47 AM »
wow you took really nice photos
may i know what camera and lens are you using?

« Last Edit: Nov 03, 11, 03:59 AM by Karel »

Offline zoossh

• Traveller
« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 08, 08:42 AM »

why not continue talking to them in english? they only knew some simple english or they dun understand any.. except to know that u ain't a chinese national. actually from your accent, can't they tell that you ain't one?