Author Topic: What does Backpacking mean to you?  (Read 6574 times)

Offline KingPatryn

• Traveller
What does Backpacking mean to you?
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 06, 11:27 AM »
Singapore got a long away to go.

Working for local company, taking 1 mth off is the limit. Else most Boss will start talking how unproductive you are etc. Small local startup will be terrible.
Working in Government sector, I also think 1 mth is the limit. 1 yr is hard leh.. esp teachers (Prof you can do that)
working in Jap company 2 weeks off is a big deal already. Sure you can take 1 mth off, however if Boss is Trad Jap, your promotion will be very limit loh.
In health sector, like nurses many times is just 1mth max. Doctors that I don't know..

I agree to the part that modern management are humans. But different people have different goals. Most have the asian mentality.

I also agree, you will see more Asian travellers, but backpacker from China (Shanghai or Beijing)? hard man, most want to travel in style, stay nice, spend little. Cheap and good!

Offline bear

• Traveller
    • http://www.dopeydwarf.blogdrive.com
« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 06, 11:47 AM »
Quote from: "KingPatryn"
Singapore got a long away to go.

Working for local company, taking 1 mth off is the limit. Else most Boss will start talking how unproductive you are etc. Small local startup will be terrible.
Working in Government sector, I also think 1 mth is the limit. 1 yr is hard leh.. esp teachers (Prof you can do that)
working in Jap company 2 weeks off is a big deal already. Sure you can take 1 mth off, however if Boss is Trad Jap, your promotion will be very limit loh.
In health sector, like nurses many times is just 1mth max. Doctors that I don't know..

I agree to the part that modern management are humans. But different people have different goals. Most have the asian mentality.

I also agree, you will see more Asian travellers, but backpacker from China (Shanghai or Beijing)? hard man, most want to travel in style, stay nice, spend little. Cheap and good!

Do you really need such a long time to backpakc?  What about a few days?  Or a week?  DOes backpacking really require u to take a long time off, like a month?

bear

Offline ringring

• Traveller
« Reply #17 on: Jun 13, 06, 12:36 PM »
donut> what's so familar?  :shock:

yea, i met a HK backpacker in Taiwan and i was so amazed that he went to all these places alone, and with all those language barrier.. and the thing was he can't even speak english well~ i was so inspired by him!

yea.. i think people in singapore works a little too hard.. striving for the next Cs and so forth, so asking them to take a year off, or even a month off is UNTHINKABLE.. they will go wtf do you think you are doing! but i think it's a real life changing experience.. that u realised there is defintely more to life than $$ and your next Cs.

haha, talking about spoilt.. yea, my friends can;t imagine flying to a country without visting X and Y, getting lost and having to share a room with other strangers. Sighz.. i really hoped to have some "Gunghos" frenz.. since my clique seems to be for "luxury structured tour" .. but still i myself is still a beginner in backpack larz..  still gt a lot to learn ar..

Offline KingPatryn

• Traveller
« Reply #18 on: Jun 13, 06, 12:55 PM »
I totally agree there are different levels of travelling, duration etc.
some enjoy long long time like 3mths. don't need 1mth or 1 yr to do backpacking. However I certainly don't mind a longer break, if I know it will not hurt my career. haha  :D

I met a Canadian, at his 30s not married no GF. He rent a place and work just to make enough to travel and he will be out for like 3mths to 6mths.
when he is all broke, he returned and work again getting ready for his next trip.

Offline Dounut

• Traveller
« Reply #19 on: Jun 14, 06, 02:05 AM »
Talk about Singapore bosses, I got lots and lots of Discriminations from them when I went for interviews after my vocations  ! !   :evil:    :evil:

Until Now  :arrow:  No Money + No Career + No Assets = Your Choice or Society Fault  ? ?   :?    :roll:

You people talk about Max 1 Month Leaves  ? ?   :shock:

According to most of my friends, 2 Weeks is Max + At Mercy of Boss & 1 Week is the Standard  ! !   :shock:

All friends commented that I was lucky enough to be able to go for a 4 Weeks Max holiday, coz my boss also go for 4 Wekks.   :oops:

Offline ringring

• Traveller
« Reply #20 on: Jun 15, 06, 02:12 PM »
Quote from: "soul4travel"
ringring, use sign lanuguage lah...if u r a female, surely many "tiko" will volunteer to help. haha...

Well, sometime i look at it, we are like the workers bee in the hive. work , work, work, reproduce, reproduce, reproduce....haha

haha.. ya lor.. forgot the sign language part..  
wa laoz.. workers bee! haha!!

dounut> wa.. wat kind of job gives u 4 weeks leave! there need ppl or not haha

Offline Dounut

• Traveller
« Reply #21 on: Jun 16, 06, 01:35 AM »
Quote from: "ringring"
dounut> wa.. wat kind of job gives u 4 weeks leave! there need ppl or not haha

You want to take over my job  ? ?   :twisted:

My Ex Bosses often go for 4 Weeks Holiday, how can they don't approve me also  ? ?   :roll:

Anyway, in my ex-company, it's a company policy that we have to "Block" at least a 2 weeks in a roll within 1 year to clear our leaves, as each has 1 month leave to clear & need to "Queue".  So, I make good use of it, clear in 1 shot.  But that was also tough, as there is a "Bitch" who took 1 day leave every week & yet she was allowed.  I got "Stuck" becoz of her  ! !    :evil:

Now I got a problem going on leave, coz my boss bottom line is, as long as someone can "Cover" my job if I go on leave.

But, Though  ! !   :evil:

Offline mintae

• Traveller
« Reply #22 on: Jun 16, 06, 02:20 PM »
omg. what are you working as?? got 1month of leave every year???
how much paid and unpaid?

*mental note to enter that industry* haha.

cannot tell her ar? convince her to go for a 2week holiday, make sure she use up all her leave. :D hahah. then your turn!

Offline Dounut

• Traveller
« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 06, 10:16 AM »
Unfortunately, some people don't go for holidays, but take leave to stay at home  ! !  Thus, they make your life miserable & force you to follow suit  ! !   :evil:

My leave is considered little.  Only 16 days anually + I was requested to work on Public Holidays, thus I have a month leave to clear.  I know many companies have 28 days for a start  ! !   :evil:

I am already short change, what else you expect  ? ?   :roll: